Chapter 3

IZEL

I rolled my neck to relieve the building tension. It didn't help, and by the time we got back to the village, I was still pissed. Alek hadn't even tried to cheer me up because he knew not to speak about the Masked Slayer whenever I just came from failing to kill him as it only made me even more upset. 

The Masked Slayer knew how to get under my skin, and I hated it. I hated him. Not only because he was a vampire, but because he was the worst of them all. He didn't deserve to be alive, he killed too many humans to be allowed to continue breathing the same air as us.

"Have the Hunter Vanquisher's left yet?" I asked the cook, Fergus, after we got back.

"10 minutes ago," Fergus said, "Sorry, little V."

Little V. Little Vanquisher, that was his nickname for me. That was a nickname I actually liked, unlike Izzy. I inwardly groaned at the thought of it, my anger threatening to resurface. 

Fergus had known my parents, and after they died, he helped look after me the best he could. Adding extra pieces of meat for me, bringing me little snacks, and just talking to me whenever. The kitchen used to be my favourite place because of him, up until I was permitted to enter the forest with Alek, so now the kitchen is my second favourite place.

"It's okay," I said even though it sparked a flicker of irritation within me. I then looked at Alek, "you can continue what you wanted to say," I told him, knowing I had cut him off with my earlier question.

"Ten birds, seven squirrels, and three rabbits," Alek said as he placed both sacks on the gravel counter in front of Fergus. "And a bunch of grasshoppers and crickets for the chickens."

"Well, what would we do without you two?" Fergus said as he gratefully took our sacks. Alek gave me a sidelong glance, but I didn't look at him. I knew what he meant by it. "I'll make sure to give ya'll double portions."

A smile spread across my lips at the prospect of double portions, but it quickly disappeared when Alek said, "That's alright Fergus, you don't have to. We'll eat the same as everyone else. Their satisfaction satisfies us enough."

"Hey! Speak for your—" Alek covered my mouth with his hand, cutting off my words.

"Thanks though," Alek said before slowly removing his hand from my mouth and beckoning for me to follow him.

I groaned and turned to leave when I heard Fergus' barely audible voice call my name. I looked back at him and he winked at me. I smiled again, knowing exactly what that wink meant, and then winked back at him as I gleefully caught up to Alek, knowing I would have a satisfactory dinner tonight.

"You know, you talk too much," I said, walking beside Alek.

"And you eat too much," he retorted, "it's a wonder you're still so slim."

"It's called exercise with a mix of good genes," I said matter-of-factly, getting a laugh in return. I smiled at the sound of his laugh and the sight of his dimples. I lifted my hand to put my finger into his dimple but he caught my hand inches away from his face.

"Must you always do that?" He asked.

"I do not always do it," I stated, "just occasionally." He snickered and I lifted my other hand but he caught it, inches from his face again.

"Nice try, but you won't get to my dimples that easily," he said and then he gave me a wide, taunting smile. 

I narrowed my eyes at him. "You—"

"Miss Izel," said a little voice. 

I looked down with a smile, knowing exactly who it was. Raya. The smallest, cutest human being alive. She was seven years old and had creamy white skin, ginger red hair, beautiful eyes that put the sky to shame, and freckles covering her nose and cheek area. And her voice was so soft and sweet, almost angelic.