Chapter 46

JAEGER

My skin was ripping and tearing apart as the writhing pain took a hold of me. My organs were screaming internally though no sound escaped my throat other than small, desperate breaths.

"Jaeger," Izzy croaked out, "I told you not to drop your sword, you idiot!"

I tried to focus on her, to ignore the excruciating pain, but I couldn't. My insides were burning, each organ scorching one by one. I reached for Izzy's cheek and slowly caressed it with my thumb, grimacing from the pain. Izzy caught my hand as it fell and held it against her cheek. My breathing was raspy and shallow.

"I'm sorry," I barely managed to breathe out, "I should... have never..."

I wanted to tell her that if I could, I'd give my life countless times for hers without a second's hesitation.

"Don't focus on talking," she could tell it hurt too much for me to speak, "just focus on staying alive. Please," she pleaded with growing desperation. Tears streamed down her cheeks.

"Izzy," I choked out, "I didn't want..." I grimaced. "I'm sorry..."

"Don't say that, Jaeger! Stop apologizing, you're okay, please, please be okay," her voice was raspy, pressing, and I felt the trembling of her body. "Please Jaeger don't. Jaeger, you can't... you can't... you can't." Her breathing was quicker and deeper, fear and sorrow clouding her eyes, lack of control in her voice.

"I was... the one that was stabbed, why do you look like... you're in more pain than me?" I forced out, smiling for her sake.

She only shook her head, sobbing. "That's not funny Jaeger."

"I always wondered how our journey would end," my chest grew tight, making it harder for me to breathe, harder for me to speak." I guess this is it."

"Jaeger," she whispered.

Her whisper quickly turned into a yelp as the Zas grabbed her by her hair and pulled her back. Hate burned in my chest. I felt useless, futile. I couldn't do anything for her and now she was in the hands of the Zas, because of me.

"That's enough," the Zas said. "You're coming with me now."

She tried to get out of his hold, but to no avail, and he continued dragging her further and further away from me.

"Jaeger!" She screamed, "Jaeger!"

Izzy's voice, I realised, was the last sound I'd ever hear. She was the last person I'd ever touch. The last person I'd ever care about.

The last person I'd ever love...