Chapter 50

JAEGER

It was like everyone and everything ceased to exist as I watched the dagger penetrate Izzy's skin. As I watched her eyes shoot open and her mouth flood with blood.

"No!!"

I managed to catch Izzy before she collapsed onto the ground, holding her in my arms, the dagger still lodged in her neck. 

"No, no, no," I repeated over and over and over again.

I didn't know what to do.

No. No. No. I couldn't lose her, I couldn't imagine living without her. No. No. No.

"Izzy—" I choked on a sob.

She choked on her blood. 

Her eyes didn't leave mine as the life slowly drained out of her. I'd never felt this kind of pain, a pain that tore me apart from the inside out. A pain that scorched my insides, slowly burning me. A pain that made the oxygen feel heavy with every breath I took.

Someone was calling me, but I didn't know who. Feyre suddenly appeared in front of me, saying something, but I didn't know what. Feyre placed a hand on my shoulder as Izzy was led out of the room and then followed after them, but I didn't know why.

All I knew was that this had all happened because of one person.

Perseus.

Rage like I'd never known overcame me. It pulsed through my veins, thrummed in my ears, and flooded my blood until I was simmering in fury. My eyes landed on Perseus, but he was as good as dead in my eyes. He was forcibly held in place by vampires. 

"You," my words dripped with spite.

I got to my feet with a frightening speed, grabbed the nearest sword and plunged it through Perseus. But not to kill him, death was too good of a mercy for the creature he was. He was going to suffer. I was going to make him suffer

The sword had gone through the right side of his chest, pinning him to the wall, keeping him in place as my fist met his jaw, once, twice, over and over again until he bled.

He smiled. Laughed, even. He was madder than I thought, crueller, eviller.

"You think this is funny!" I demanded.

"And you think this is over?" He laughed again. "Just because I'm dead doesn't mean it's all going to end. Killing me will only get you over one obstacle, you don't know how many you have left. You don't know what's going to happen from here. You don't know which vampires escaped, and you don't know how many vampires hate humans as much as I do. You don't know what kind of legacy I've left."

My lip curled, and I itched to kill him, but that wouldn't be vengeance enough, so I thought of something better. I glanced at the first vanquisher in my line of sight. "You kill him, let him have a place in history as the first and only Zas to ever be killed by a human. That's legacy enough."

For the first time, Perseus' eyes sparked with horror, quenching my rage. I ignored Perseus' constant screams and threats as I left, and when he suddenly went silent I knew he was dead, but I glanced back just to make sure.

He was gone for good.