twenty-nine

Lorelei and Augustus sat in Three Broomsticks sipping Butterbeer.

"I'm a bit jealous to be honest, I'd kill for a Weasley jumper." Augustus said, "Would've gotten you something but..."

"I understand." Lorelei said, "How have you been feeling?"

He sighed and sat back in his chair, "I don't know... everyday i feel like i'm swimmin' in a pool of water that's been set on fire and I can't swim up for air. My only choices are to burn or drown. The potions help but, I can't quite find myself."

"What happened to you is bound to change you, Augustus. What matters now is how you decide to live your life, either in fear or facing it head on."

"Easy for you to say, you aren't the one who's boggart is a bloody moon."

Lorelei took another sip of her Butterbeer, "Have you been able to cast your Patronus since the incident? I've heard of people that haven't been able to do so after a traumatic experience."

"Hogwarts doesn't teach the Patronus Charm."

"What?!" Lorelei asked a bit louder than intended, causing a few people glanced in their direction.

"Your schools have?"

She nodded, "Most students couldn't cast it, but it was still taught."

"What's yours?"

She shook her head, "I'm one of the many students that couldn't produce it. Though one time I got close and I think could make out a large dog, which is odd because that's what protected me all those months ago."

"Could be a sign." Augustus pondered, "Nothing here ever happens for no reason. I know have to think about a time where you were experiencing pure joy to cast a Patronus... what memory where you thinking of?"

"When I snuck off here during the week I was here in our second year. That rush of adrenaline was like nothing I ever experienced."

"You know... what I saw could be The Grim..."

"An omen of death? I doubt that Lorelei, it would not have protected you."

"I kept seeing it periodically up until my parents and brother arrived back home." Lorelei said, "Guess I should start arranging my funeral, when you send out the invites, make sure my parents don't get one."

Augustus rolled his eyes, "You're being far too dramatic, Lorelei. What happened to you thinking it was more than a dog? Or just a dog?"

"I can change my mind. And more than a dog can mean The Grim."

"Whatever."

Back at Hogwarts in the Gryffindor common room, Zoya was lying on the couch looking at her compass. It was a strange gift indeed, but it was more dangerous than strange. The rest of her friends were outside throwing snowballs and building snowmen, but Zoya was too caught up with the damned compass.

"Zoya darling..."

"Did you just call me darling?" Zoya asked, stuffing the compass in her pocket as Fred walked to her.

"Was just testing it out." He said, plopping down onto the couch at her feet.

Zoya sat up and stared at him, "Will you go out with me?"

Fred froze up. He stared at her dumbfounded, "I- uhh, I think I should've been the one to ask that question..."

"The famous flirt Fred Weasley is lost for words." Zoya taunted, "I suppose I deserve an award for that."

"Are you being serious?"

"I try not to be." She teased, repeating what he said to her days before.

Fred slowly leant in, and Zoya allowed him to until he just barely grazed her lips. She pulled back and stood up, "Where are you going?" Fred whined.

"Hang on." She replied.

Zoya ran up to her dorm and got the lipstick Hermione had got her. This was a perfect time to test it out. She thought to the deepest shade of red that she could, and then put it on. She ran back downstairs and jumped on him, pulling him by his hair to her lips.

His hands travelled to her cheek and the two heavily kissed one another until they were out of breath. When Zoya pulled away, the only part of his face that was red were his cheeks. He looked absolutely breathless and she felt proud that she was able to overpower his usual dominate personality.

"Well, I suppose my lipstick works."

"Yeah..." He trailed off, still trying to catch his breath.

She kissed his lips again, "You never answered my questioned." She said in between kisses.

"Hmm?" He mindlessly said. She pulled away again, and he remembered that she was the one to ask him out. He brought his thumb to her red lips, "I'm a bit disappointed that this doesn't smudge. Would be great if I could leave the common room looking like I just ate a red marker."

"Fred..."

"Yes. I will go out with you. You better not be the one to pop the question when that day comes."

"One step at a time, Fred."