Chapter 2

Luke's POV

I'm woken up by the sound of my phone ringing. I blindly reach for my phone and squint at the screen. My mom is calling, probably because they just landed.

"Hey, Mom," I say groggily.

"Did I just wake you up?" she asks.

"No, no. I've been awake for a while," I lie. It's a little past 10 o'clock in the morning. "How was the flight?"

"Long. It was worse than the flight to you." Their flight was around 29 hours. They had to stop in Detroit, then Los Angeles before landing in Sydney. I hated flying here. It took forever.

"Why? Did something happen?" I ask her.

"No, it's just because I was leaving you, not going to you," she says quietly.

"Mom, please don't cry," I tell her.

"I won't, I promise. I just wanted to let you know we landed. I miss you already."

"I miss you too."

We talk for a little longer before Calum starts yelling that he wants to talk to me.

"Yes, Calum?" I say laughing once my mom hands him the phone.

"Okay, good I can talk to you now. Detroit was so cool, like, Eminem was born there! That's awesome! He has probably been in that airport! And we seriously have to go to California sometime. There was some pretty hot girls in the airport."

"Calum, I have a girlfriend."

"Oh, so it is official? And I wasn't talking about a girl for you, I was talking about one for me. There was this really attractive blonde girl who ended up being on our flight, and I have no idea where she went but she had an Australian accent which means she probably lives here."

I laugh. "Are you still at the airport?"

"Yeah, we're waiting for my dad to come pick us up. Did you know that the airport in California has a bunch of exotic food places? It was really weird. I was starving, and there was nothing to eat unless I wanted to pay $16 for a vegan donut."

"I know. I was there when I flew here."

"Oh, yeah. Right. Wait, I think I see the girl. I gotta go, bye!" Calum says, hanging up abruptly.

I smile to myself and decide I should probably get up. I hear my dad in the living room watching TV. I get myself some cereal before sitting down beside him.

"Good morning," he says.

"Good morning," I say, with my mouth full of cereal. "Mom and Calum landed."

"That's good. Will you be okay without them here?" my dad asks for the hundredth time.

"Yeah, you don't have to worry. I'm really, truly fine."

"Okay, good," he says, smiling. "Do you want to do anything today?"

I shrug. "I was thinking about going to see Delilah at work."

He stays silent for a little.

"Would you want to try driving?" he asks.

I shake my head quickly. "No."

"Are you sure?"

"I'm sure." Just thinking about driving makes me anxious.

"Okay. Let me know if when you want to because I think it's time you learn. We can do-"

"I don't want to. Not right now," I say, cutting him off and getting up from the couch. "Maybe another time." I'm not sure I will ever want to.

"I didn't mean to make you upset, Luke."