Chapter 32

Luke's POV

Some people are like the ocean. Sometimes near, sometimes far, but you always know it will come back. Delilah is my ocean.

Delilah was far, and even though I sometimes doubted the strength of our relationship, she is here. It's just like the ocean's waves returning to the shore.

I hear Delilah breathing beside me when I wake up. The past few nights she has snuck into my room, or I've snuck into hers. I'm pretty sure my parents know, but they haven't said anything.

I slowly turn to face her. She tucks her head into my chest and pulls me towards her gently.

"Morning," I whisper, pushing some hair out of her face.

She smiles, but doesn't say a word.

The sun is shining through the window blinds, casting shadows across the room. There's lines of light plastered across Delilah's face, and she squeezes her eyes tight the second she opens them.

"What are we doing today?" Delilah says quietly, still keeping her eyes shut. She reaches out blindly for me, nearly poking me in the eye. "Oops," she says, giggling. I reach up and hold onto both of her hands.

"I'm taking you to Luna Park, it's a cool amusement park in the city," I tell her. "We haven't gone on a date here yet, so this will be our first official date in Australia!"

She finally opens her eyes and smiles. "That sounds perfect. When will we leave?"

"Closer to when it gets dark. It's better there at night. There's some surprises."

"Oh? Like what?" she asks, propping herself up on her elbow.

"It wouldn't be a surprise if I told you!"

She lays back down abruptly. "You're always surprising me."

"I know, I like to."

I start to get up from the bed, but she holds tightly to my hands.

"Stay here just a little longer." She tugs me back into bed with her.

"You're lucky you're cute, babe," I tell her, kissing her hand, then her shoulder, and finally her cheek.

"Your morning breath isn't so cute," she says, laughing.

"I take back what I said," I pout, turning away from her.

She reaches for me and pulls me around, squeezing my face in the process. "I'm joking," she says, letting me go and hopping out of bed.

Today is Delilah's third day here. We've been hanging out most of the time, since she's been somewhat jet lagged. We also wanted to just be together, since we've been a part for so long.

Now I can turn into a tour guide and bring her to all the places she needs to see. I'm going to pack as much as possible into the next few months.

I was afraid things would be awkward at first. I thought it might feel like we were strangers again. Everything feels the same as when I left, maybe even better. It seems like I always appreciate people more when I'm away from them for a little. I never truly realize how important they are until they're no longer always with me.

Maybe coming back to Australia wasn't all that bad. By being separated, Delilah and I seem to have grown stronger.

"I'm gonna go shower. See ya soon," she says, leaving my room. "Don't miss me too much."

"I'll try."

I stay in my bed for a few minutes. I can hear Delilah humming and singing quietly in the shower. I get a muffin from the kitchen and head back to my room.