Chapter 3

Luke's POV

Delilah drove Michael and me back to my house once her shift was over. Michael finally calmed down and is no longer crying. We stopped at his house to pick up some of his stuff, and thankfully, his mom wasn't home.

"I'll see you guys later," Delilah says as she pulls up in front of my house. "Are you sure everything is alright, Michael?"

Michael nods and gets out of the car slowly.

"I'll see you tomorrow, probably," I tell Delilah as I open up the door. "Can you drive Michael to school tomorrow? I don't know if he'll go, but I'll let you know."

"Yeah, of course. Call me if you need any help with anything," she says.

"Will do."

I get out of the car and start walking to Michael but run back to the car.

"I forgot something," I say as I tap on Delilah's window.

Delilah scrunches her eyebrows in confusion and rolls down the window. I quickly lean over to kiss her. She laughs when I pull away.

"See ya," I say, smiling.

"Bye, Luke," she says, smiling too.

Michael is standing at my front door, waiting for me. It's not locked, but I don't think he wants to go in without me.

I walk inside, and Michael follows.

"Hey, is it okay if Michael stays the night?" I yell, hoping my dad is somewhere around.

"Yeah!" I hear my dad yell from his room.

"Okay, let's go," I tell Michael, heading up to my room.

"Are y-you sure it-it's o-okay?" Michael asks quietly.

"Yeah, I don't mind at all. You can sleep there," I tell him, pointing to the bed on my floor. I haven't bothered to take it out yet since Calum's left.

"O-okay."

"Will you go to school tomorrow? It's okay if you don't."

Michael shrugs. "I'll g-go."

I was expecting him to say he wouldn't go. I'm surprised he's actually willing to go to school.

"Oh, okay! Delilah will pick you up tomorrow morning then."

"Th-thanks for d-doing all th-this."

"No problem."

"Y-you've b-been to one of th-them, r-right?" he asks quietly. I don't understand what he's asking about at first, but then I realize he's talking about an institution.

I sit down on my bed and sigh. I don't really like talking about my experiences there that much. I try to push them out of my mind. I decide to not tell Michael how I really felt about it, just incase he does end up going.

"Yeah, I have," I say. "They're not that bad. It's a lot of other people around our age that are dealing with problems too. You see a lot of different doctors, and stuff, and they're nice, I guess. It was just really boring for me. Since I didn't talk, I didn't make any friends. It was basically exactly how it was outside in the real world, except I had no communication with anything except the doctors. At least at home my mom and Calum would talk to me. They try to get to know you and understand you." I shrug. "But, I wouldn't really let them. Other people get a lot of help from those sorts of places though."

"Do I-I need t-to go to one?" Michael asks.

I shrug. "That's your choice. It might help, it might not. You would probably have more help with your stutter and anxiety. You are getting better though."