Chapter 4

Delilah's POV

I get to Luke's house to pick Lucy up, and both of them are thankfully okay. Lucy didn't get lost this time, and Luke isn't stressed. It seems like everything went well.

"Today was so fun!" Lucy yells when I walk in.

"Was it?" I ask her, looking up at Luke.

He nods and smiles. "Told you I could do it."

I smile. "What'd you guys do today?"

"We played with a balloon, and I named it Purpley, but then I killed it, but it's okay because Luke said he'd get me more balloons later, right?" Lucy says, tugging on Luke's hand.

"Right," he says.

"And now it's later, so let's go get some balloons!" Lucy says.

"I don't know, Lucy. Maybe another day," I tell her. I really don't feel like going to get her a bunch of balloons.

She frowns. "But I miss my friend."

"I promised," Luke mouths to me.

I sigh. "Alright, let's go get some balloons then."

"Yay!" Lucy yells.

We all get in the car, and Lucy is still in her pajamas, but doesn't seem to care. All she cares about it getting more balloons.

I'm honestly surprised today went smoothly. I thought something would happen, and Luke would get nervous. But he was totally fine. He's definitely changed a lot in the past few months.

Lucy keeps talking about what kind of balloons she wants and what she's going to name them. I don't see why she's so excited about balloons, but by tomorrow she'll be bored with them.

Luke keeps trying to talk to me, but gets interrupted by Lucy every time. He gives up and just listens to Lucy ramble on about balloons.

My phone vibrates, and I look to see a text from Ashton. I reach over for my phone to respond.

"Delilah," Luke says quietly.

"Yeah?" I ask. He's glaring at my hand, which is holding my phone.

Then I realize.

"Oh, my God, Luke. I'm sorry. I didn't realize-"

"Pull over."

"Luke, I'm sorry."

He shakes his head. "Just pull over, right now." He runs his hands through his hair and takes some deep breaths.

I pull over to the side of the road, and Luke immediately gets out of the car and starts walking back home.

"Where's he going?" Lucy asks quietly.

"I don't know," I tell her, getting out of the car and bringing her with me to follow Luke.

"Luke!" I yell, hoping he'll turn around.

"Just leave me alone," he says, not even bothering to look back.

"I didn't mean to," I yell. "I'm sorry!"

Lucy has to run quickly to keep up with my wide pace, and she's staying quiet.

Luke whips around. "You know how much anxiety getting into cars gives me. You know how much I have to trust someone to even get into a car with them. You know she died from texting me!"

"Who died?" Lucy whispers.

"I didn't- I honestly didn't mean to. It's a habit," I tell him.

He rolls his eyes. "You can stop habits. You can't stop death. What if we crashed in that split second you picked up your phone? What if you went through a red light? You don't know what could have happened!"