Chapter 33

Delilah's POV

The longer I'm here, the more this all feels like a dream. I never want to leave.

Luke and I went to the beach today. It's the hottest day here so far. It's not too crowded since it isn't summer here and everyone is at school. There's only a few other people, which is nice.

"Remember our first kiss?" Luke whispers as we lay in the sand.

"Of course," I tell him, reaching over for his hand. "Why are you thinking about that right now?"

"That was the best night of my life," he says, laughing lightly. "I was so nervous, I almost didn't kiss you."

"If you didn't make a move that night, I would've," I tell him.

"I honestly didn't know if you liked me or not."

"Luke! I literally wrote it down in my project, and you accidentally read it! How much clearer could it have been?"

He laughs. "I was just unsure! Feelings change."

"My feelings did change. They got stronger the more I got to know you. They still do."

"You mean that?" he asks, getting closer to me on the blanket.

"Of course I do." I sit up and shield my eyes from the sun so I can see him better. 

Luke sits up too and quickly kisses me. 

"Remember when I dropped my coffee on you?"

"I recall it more as a throw, but yes, I remember that too."

He blushes. "I never said sorry for that. But sorry." He laughs.

"I don't care anymore," I say, laughing too.

"We have had some crazy things happen to us the past few months, haven't we?"

"I don't think I ever imagined my year being so crazy, but I wouldn't change it for the world."

Luke's phone rings, and he scrambles through the bag to find it. 

"It's my dad," he says, picking up the phone. "Hey, Dad... Yeah, I know... Okay... Tell her I said good luck... Okay, see you then... Bye!"

I watch Luke as he talks on the phone. The sun is directly behind him, creating rays of light all around him. His eyes look more blue when the sun bounces off of them. Sand mixes with the freckles on his shoulders, and his hair is salty. I quickly take a picture of him to capture the moment. 

He catches me and smiles. After he ends the call with his dad, he takes a picture of me.

"Everything okay?" I ask.

"Yeah, he was just reminding that they're going to the hospital in about an hour. It's her last appointment before her surgery. He said they should be home around 6 o'clock."

"Why so long?"

He shrugs. "I'm not sure. I think they just need to make sure everything is okay and ready for the surgery."

Luke looks somewhat worried when he mentions the surgery. I know things like that make him most nervous. He knows what happened after Delia's surgery, and I think that makes him fear it.

"I'm sure she'll be fine," I tell him, standing up and wrapping my arms around him.

"I know, there's always just a piece of worry."

I don't want him to focus on things that make him worried or sad. I'm actually happy I'm here for Liz's surgery. I want to help out as much as I can. Luke will need someone to make sure he's okay. I know he'll be worrying that his mom is okay, but he needs someone for him, too.