Chapter 28

Luke's POV

I look at my calendar and write a big X over today. I count the days until Delilah is here. It's a little over three weeks. We're almost there. A few more weeks, and she will be here with me. All the days of waiting are almost over.

I get a text from Calum saying that he's here. We're going to the hospital. 

I poke my head into my dad's room. "Calum is here. I'll text you when I'm coming home. Call me if anything happens with mom."

My mom isn't having a treatment today. 

We're taking Jordan out.

The last time I was at the hospital, Jordan and I exchanged numbers. We've been texting a little since then. I've gotten to know more about her as she gets more comfortable with me. The other day she told me she hasn't left the hospital in over three months. I talked to her doctors, and they agreed to let her out for a few hours. I'm going to surprise her. 

I head outside and get into the passenger seat of Calum's car. I'm full of nervous excitement. I hope Jordan is happy with the surprise.

"Got everything?" I ask him.

"All set."

Once we're at the hospital, I lead Calum to Jordan's room. They've never actually met. He's walked past her room once, but there has been no formal meeting.

I knock on Jordan's door that is open slightly and walk in. As usual, she's reading. She's in her pajamas and sitting by the window.

She looks up and scrunches her eyebrows in confusion. "What are you doing here? Is your mom okay?" Her gaze shifts to Calum. He waves lightly.

"She's fine. We're actually here for you," I tell her.

She closes her book and puts it beside her. "What?" Her cheeks blush lightly.

I look over at Calum. He smiles.

"I talked to your doctors yesterday. They said it's okay for you to leave for a few hours," I tell her. "So we're gonna take you out for a little, if you'd like to of course."

Her face gets tightly knit with more confusion. "Are you serious? Of course I'd like to!"

"Completely serious."

The confusion disappears and a smile transforms onto her face. "Oh, my God. I can't believe this! Wait, I'm not even ready. Let me change out of my pajamas." She shoos Calum and me out. "I'll be right out," she says, smiling while she shuts the door. The door opens quickly. "Is it hot out?"

"It's warm. Not too hot," I tell her.

"Okay, thanks," she says, shutting the door again.

Calum laughs. "She seems cool. The few seconds I was in there anyway."

"She is. She seems pretty excited."

Jordan comes out quickly. She has a beanie on and is no longer in her pajamas. She has a backpack slung over her shoulder and is jumping around while trying to finish tying her converse laces. It seems like she was so excited that she just threw a bunch of stuff on quickly.

"Ready!" she says when she's done tying her shoelaces. She looks up at us and smiles.

She looks over at Calum and waves. "I'm Jordan, by the way. An introduction was overlooked by Luke's announcement."

Calum laughs. "Calum. Nice to meet you."

"So where are we going?" Jordan asks, tugging at her backpack.