Chapter 34

Luke's POV

"Cal, we want to learn to drive," I say abruptly when Calum picks up his phone.

"Sorry, what?" Calum says. I can hear him nearly choke on whatever he's drinking.

"I want to learn to drive. Delilah wants to figure out how to drive here. Can you teach us?" I thought I was pretty clear to begin with.

"Uh, yeah, I guess. I'll be over in a few."

He hangs up and arrives to my house a few minutes later. He tosses his car keys up and catches them.

"Since when are you interested in driving?" he asks.

I shrug. "I figure it's time."

"I never thought I'd see the day where you drove."

"Neither did I. My dad said he'd teach me while we were still in Maine. But, uh, circumstances put that to a pause."

Calum smiles, but it's one of those I'm sorry all this happened but I'm happy to help smiles. He puts his hand on my shoulder. 

"Well, I'm sure you'll be a natural. Hopefully. I can't afford a new car."

I think about the dent that's in the shape of a ghost on his car. By the end of today, the ghost may have a new friend.

I can hear Delilah laughing as she walks into the room.

"Hey, Calum. Thanks for doing this," she says.

"Yeah, no problem. What are we waiting for? Let's go!"

Calum turns swiftly on his heels and heads outside. I look at Delilah meekly. She smiles and gives me a thumbs up.

"You can do this. Don't worry," she says quietly. She takes my hand in hers and rubs her thumb in circles on my skin.

"I always worry."

"I know."

Calum's waiting by the passenger side door when we get outside.

"I have some rules of the road. Don't drive too close to the curb. Don't slam on the breaks. Always use a turn signal. That is all for now."

"Yes, sir," Delilah says, laughing.

"Delilah can go first," he says, handing the keys to her. 

Delilah gets into the driver's seat, and I slide into the backseat.

Calum explains everything to both of us. Delilah keeps nodding to confirm she understands. All I can think about is my sweaty palms and shaky knees.

What if my legs are too shaky to hold down the pedals? Can that happen? If my hands are too sweaty, will that affect my grip on the steering wheel? What if I turn onto the wrong side of the road? What if I hit something? Or even worse, someone.

Delilah looks reaches up to position the rearview mirror and glances at me.

"Luke, don't worry. You're okay. Everything is okay," she says. She turns around and puts her hand on my knee. I realize I've been bouncing my knee at a speed I didn't know was possible. "If you don't want to do this, you don't have to."

"She's right. No one is forcing you," Calum says.

"No, I can do this. I want to."

"Alright. Delilah, back out of the driveway now," Calum says.

"Wait!" I say. 

Delilah puts the car back in park before she can even begin to drive.

Delilah and Calum both whip their heads around to look at me. Both of them display looks of concern.