Chapter 14

Make sure you read my author's note at the end when you're done. It's about a contest and meetup in New York :)

Luke's POV

"Do you want me to come in with you? Or do you want to do this alone?" Delilah asks as we sit in her car. We're parked inside my drive way, and I need to talk to my dad.

"I think I can do this alone. I'll call you later, probably." I start getting out of the car, but Delilah reaches for my shoulder.

"You'll be okay. Love you."

I nod quickly and try not to start crying again. I know that if I say anything back, I'll start crying. I don't want to cry  before even talking to my dad. I quickly kiss Delilah and leave.

I slowly walk up the stairs and go inside. I'm filled with sadness, anger, and confusion. I can't keep my thoughts straight, and I have so many questions. I feel mad at the whole world, but I also feel like I could break down crying any second. I thought I would never have to feel this terrible again, but I've been proven wrong.

I find my dad sitting at the kitchen table, like he's waiting for me. We both stare at each other, neither of us saying anything. I don't even know what to say.

"I heard you talked to Calum," my dad says, breaking the silence.

"Why didn't you tell me?" I ask quietly, trying not to get too angry. Sometimes I can't help getting angry though, and I can already feel it building up inside me. I sit at the chair opposite from him and concentrate on the stain in the center of the table so I don't focus on all my emotions.

"I'm really sorry, Luke. I wanted to tell you, but I promised your mom," he tells me.

"Why would you promise her something like that? I'm your son! You guys can't just keep that from me!"

"We did it to protect you and your well-being. We weren't sure how you would react. We did what we thought was best."

"I'm almost 18. You don't have to protect me. I'm getting better. I wouldn't have been so upset if you had just told me."

"I'm sorry."

"Stop saying sorry. It doesn't change anything. I never wanna hear anyone say that again. How long have you known?" I shoot out, finally looking up from the stain on the table and at my dad.

"Since the start..."

I run my hands through my hair and let out a shaky breath. Of course he's known since the start. Everyone but me has known. I should've expected that. 

"Can you tell me everything you know?" I ask quietly. "I don't even know what kind of cancer she has." I can feel my hands start to get shaky.

My dad nods. "So, she has breast cancer, which is very common for women. It hasn't spread, since it was caught early. Her doctors think it won't be hard to treat, and she should be okay."

Everyone always says people will be okay. Okay has no depth. It's not good, it's not bad. There's nothing to it. How am I supposed to believe that my mom will be okay? Everyone always says they're okay when they're not. It's a lie. It's a disappointment. 

"How do they treat it?" I ask.

"She decided to have it removed, but she has to have some chemo before in order to shrink the tumor, and make it operable. None of that process has started yet, though. Right now they're preparing her for chemo."

"Why is she in the hospital, then?"

"Something happened with one of her medications and made some of her blood levels drop. That's all I got from what Calum told me."