Schools Out

It was amazing how easily Michael transitioned into our lives. Another week of school and work has passed us by. Michael and I figured out a schedule that so far has worked for us. I knew there would be changes eventually but for now I didn't mind co parenting.

It is a busy Monday with a new bridal client. She is big into superstitions and I have never had to figure out a date based upon the cycle of the moon. It also can't fall on the 13th cause obviously that's ominous. There is so much to take into account my head hasn't ceased throbbing. I pull out my phone to check the time when I see I have 2 missed calls from Walt's school including two voicemails. I don't bother checking the voicemails but I grab my keys and race to my car.

The phone is ringing when I then hear, "Southern Oak Elementary how can I help you?"

"Hi, this is Allison Kauffman, Walter Kauffman's mom is everything ok?"

"We left you a voicemail,"is her curt reply back."

I take a deep breath, " I saw but I thought this would be quicker if there was an emergency."

"It's been taken care of. After we couldn't get a hold of you we contacted his father who promptly came in."

"His father? ....Oh yes his father? Is he ok? Sick?" I ask in a panicked tone. He was fine when I dropped him off this morning.

"No he was in perfect health. You should call his father for the details but Walt no longer attends here so that's as much information I can give over the phone." She clicks and hangs up.

My jaw is almost on the seat.

I call Michael and he picks up after the first ring, "What's going on?!"

Michael, " Allie, calm down. Take a breath. Walt is fine, he had a bad day."

"A bad day?! How come he doesn't attend the school any more? Did they kick him out? Did you pull him out? And why am I just hearing about this from the school and not you!?" Questions that I demand to know the answer to blurt out in rapid succession.

To say I am furious is an understatement. So help me God if they kicked Walt out I will happily use Michael's money to sue the pants off of them!

"I pulled him out. He won't be going there anymore." Michael says flatly.

"EXCUSE ME!" My chest is heaving and I feel like I have hulk-like strength with the rage that is building. " HOW ON EARTH DO YOU GET TO MAKE THAT DECISION WITHOUT MY CONSENT?!"

"We need to talk preferably where Walt can't hear us. Is there someone you trust to watch him?"

It's infuriating me even more that he is being so calm and collected while I want rock and sock someones head off. I want to suggest Rodrigo just to piss him off but I know he would still be at work since it is the middle of the day. Christy is either sleeping or working. Best bet is to call Mrs. Rebecca.

I call Rebecca and she is more than willing to have Walt popover. I send Michael the address as I head that way myself. I want to lay eyes on my baby boy just to make sure he is safe and ok.

I see him step out of Michael's vehicle with his head and shoulders sagging. My heart constricts at the sight. Michael tilts his chin to look up at him and as he talks I can see Walt's eye has a bruise forming like he got in a fight. I assess the rest of his body from a far and see a fat lip and multiple scrapes. My feet no longer propel me forward I am stunned. He got in a fight? That isn't Walt. Tears prick my eyes as I think about the emotional trauma I must have caused by leaving Michael out of our lives then quickly inserting him back in.

I make a mental note that after this discussion I will be researching the best child psychologists.

Michael waves me over to his SUV.