The Tour

It's past dark now and I haven't ever visited Rodrigo this late. I could text him but this seems like a conversation face to face. At least that's what I keep reminding myself of the necessity for a late night intrusion. 

I knock on his door and immediately regret it filled with remorse if Martin was already sleeping. I internally scold myself. I should've texted. I turn to bolt but I then hear the door chain unlatching and the door creak open.

"Hey there neighbor need to borrow some sugar," his sexy grin makes me bite my lip as his eyes roam from my toes to settle on my eyes. I try to get my eyes to focus on his face but my surprise visit has caught him without a shirt on. Tattoos cascade off his muscular chest and across his stomach. I can see why there is a whole genre of bad boy fetishes. I know I am staring but my eyes have a mind of their own. It takes a moment but finally my dry mouth  forms words, "Not quite, more like a school."

His forehead creases in confusion. " I am going to need more details." He looks behind him and shouts, " Martin get ready for bed! I'm out on the porch." He then turns and shuts the door as he presses his hand against the low part of my back and guides me to the two chairs. I sit across from him and pine for the close contact we had mere seconds ago.

"Whats up?"

I take a deep breath and let out a sigh. " Long story short is that Walt got into a fight at school defending my honor." I look down at this because I have never once been embarrassed of my circumstances but I am embarrassed that my choices have now affected my son.

Rodrigo reaches over as my eyes still stare at my feet and he grabs my hands as they so easily fit inside his. He holds them there as I bring my eyes to meet his.

"There is absolutely nothing you have to be embarrassed about so stop being a victim." His voice is firm and steady. I know he isn't being harsh but sincere.

I continue, "Michael freaked out and wants him in a private school. I would like Walt to be able to go to the one Martin attends since he will have a built-in friend there."

"I think Walt would really like it there. When I take Martin to school tomorrow I will put in a good word to the sisters. They love me. " He winks at me.

"I know you go to church but does Michael?" He asks.

I mull this over, " I honestly don't know. Does that matter?"

"It is a Christian school and they do want both parents to attend some church regularly. Make sure he mentions he will be attending church if he isn't already."

I feign a small smile.

"Why are you stressed? This seems like a good thing? His dad clearly looks like he can afford school so why not give Walt the best?"

" I know I should be grateful, it's just a lot of changes all at once."

I love that he listens. I forget that he still holds my hands inside of his and now my eyes won't stop looking at his lips. I now consciously look up to see his eyes which our looking at my lips. I pull my hands away and tuck a loose hair behind my ear nervously.

"I better get going Walt was getting ready for bed. Thank you so much. I would greatly appreciate it if you could put in a good word."

"Anything for my most favoritest neighbor." His smile is making my stomach dance.

We didn't have to wait long to tour at All Saints. I am not sure if it was due to Rodrigo or if Michael pulled some strings but I really didn't care. My boy needs a school that will love him and keep him safe.

I can't help but drool over their scholastic achievements. The school goes from K-12 and once in middle school they can join the school paper. Michael squeezes my hand at that part during the tour. He knows that is music to my ears.

We aren't sure exactly what to say about our relationship but thankfully they don't ask much. I mean Rodrigo goes here and he is no longer with Martin's mom so I would assume there isn't a strict rule on divorce etc.

During the meeting with the Dean the topic of church attendance comes up. I already prefaced with Michael that this might come up so he is prepared. We already established that Michael will be coming to church with Walt and I. He wants to weave himself into our lives as much as possible and this is another aspect of it. I thought it would be more difficult to convince him but he was easy going about it.

I feel like Michael is on the fence until he sees the gymnasium. They obviously have quite the fundraising and pour a lot of the money into maintaining the state of the art gym. The walls are lined with the achievements of previous State basketball champions. Now it is Michael's turn to squeeze my hand in enthusiasm.

After our tour and interview they inform us that Walt can start next week. Not sure if the swiftness has something to do with the fact that Michael stated he would pay the full year's tuition today. I guess even nuns can recognize dollar signs.