The Ring

With each passing mile on the highway I grow increasingly more angry.

Angry at Michael.

Angry at Mrs. James

But mostly angry at myself.

How did I let myself fall for this again? I stupidly expected Michael to learn to communicate over these past few years. I get that it wasn't ideal to find the lawyer's paperwork but if he would have just let me explain, but he didn't. Not when I will forever be second fiddle to his mother.

It seems like no time at all and I find my vehicle parked in front of our condo. Walt is fast asleep, clearly unaffected by the dramatic events from today. I make one trip to carry in the pie and another to carry in some bags letting Walt sleep as long as possible. There is no way I am strong enough to carry him inside to the house to let him continue his nap. I dread waking him up to contend with a salty attitude for the rest of the day from an interrupted nap.

I head to the passenger side when I see a familiar black SUV whipping around heading straight towards my driveway. I shut the door again with out waking Walt. The vehicle parks in front of me and a furious Michael gets out slamming the door behind him. How he got here so quickly is a shock.

"What the hell Allie! Couldn't wait 5 minutes for me?!" He hollers at me as he takes longs strides to come to where I am standing.

I scoff and eye roll as I cross my arms. " So you could say goodbye to your precious Mommy, no thanks."

" You took off with our son driving like a bat out of hell! I was scared to death that you would be in an accident."

" So scared you ran inside to the comfort of your mothers arms?!" I turn to head towards the door when he grabs my elbow, spinning me around to face him.

"Woman are you crazy?! Give me a minute to explain. I went inside for this!" He momentarily digs in his pocket before he pulls out a glistening pear shaped diamond ring that is encircled by an intricate white gold band weaved around the diamond. It is simple, elegant and sturdy.

I am briefly frozen in awe of the ring and quite possibly why Michael felt the need to go in and retrieve it emergently.

Since I am stunned into silence Michael continues on. " This was my grandmother's ring and she told me to give it to the woman I would marry and for me that ALWAYS meant you!"

I look at the ring and I know I have never seen that ring before. It's so beautiful I would have remembered seeing it. Savannah was wearing a giant obnoxious look-at-me- ring on her finger. This ring is a far cry from that but in a more regal way.

"Allie. I have always loved you from the moment I laid eyes on you. You always thought the first time I saw you was when those boys were harassing you. I never told you cause I was embarrassed but I had been watching you through the fence for weeks. I was trying to get up the courage to talk to you but I was so nervous until I saw the kids harassing you. I didn't care what happened to me. It would be worth it if it meant you were safe. That feeling has never dissipated. You were my first best friend, my first kiss, my first ...well... Walt is here for that." He gives a wide smile revealing the dimple I have always loved.

"The fact is you were my first best friend and I want you to be my last best friend. I am not asking today because you deserve a grand proposal and I am going to give you one. But this ring was always meant for you and I don't know when I will be going back to my parents." His eyes flicker with sadness but my heart seizes with relief.

"You didn't choose your mom?" I meant this more as a rhetorical question when it escapes past my lips.

He leans forward placing my face between his palms staring directly into my eyes, " Haven't you seen it's always been you? Remember the first time I consoled you during that thunderstorm?"