chapter three | nest

It had been nearly a week since Cas had found out Dean's secret. Within that week, Dean had somehow managed to find a nest within the area that Sam hadn't already.

"I'm just gonna go check it out," he explained to Cas. "Sam doesn't need to know. If he asks, tell him I went out for a drink." It was around two in the morning, and Sam was fast asleep. Dean and Cas had made it sort of a habit to stay up late into the night, chatting about anything and everything.

"Are you sure about this, Dean? I mean, they haven't exactly done anything to be investigated about," Cas pointed out. "How'd you even find them anyway?"

"When you're a vampire, it isn't too hard to find others," he said, but Cas was still looking at him questioningly. "Okay, so I was out and smelled blood. And, it was like, really strong, but I could tell it was an animal's. I followed the trail, and it led to a deer. I caught it's killer's scent, and it led me to a house not even a mile from here."

"A deer isn't much of a concern, right?"

"I just want to make sure," Dean reiterated, as he slipped a vile of dead man's blood into his pocket. "I'll be back before sunrise, so don't worry."

At that, he grabbed the keys to the Impala and headed up the stairs and out the door.

|

Dean knocked softly on the door of the house. He didn't want to alarm anyone by knocking roughly, and making them think he was some sort of authority.

A person with cropped, strawberry blond hair answered the door. They were dressed in faded, flared blue jeans, with a bright yellow shawl wrapped around their shoulders.

The person stood wide eyed, just staring at Dean. "Oh my god, you're Dean Winchester! Am I gonna die? I mean, okay, sure. But, like...do you have to chop my head off? That seems really violent, and like, I'm super against violence, so..."

"Uh, what? No, I'm not here to kill you," Dean assured.

The person let out a long sigh. "Would've probably been better if you did. This sucks. Like, literally."

"Hun, is someone there?" A voice called from across the house.

"Yeah, just a hunter," they called back.

"What!?"

"No, uh-- actually, I'm one of you." And, as if to prove his point, Dean let his fangs slide out.

"Woah, that's wild," they said, nodding slightly. "Good for you. Or maybe bad for you. I don't know. How do you feel?"

"Um, I'm okay I guess," Dean said, and it actually wasn't a lie.

A man appeared behind the person. He was strong -- way stronger than Dean, that is. And tall too, with a thick, blond beard. When he spoke, his voice was soft.

"So you're a vamp, too," he said. "Awesome. My name's Sandy, and that's Rain." He motioned to the person who'd originally answered the door, who had gone and was now lying on a couch, staring up at the ceiling. "Oh, and I don't know if you can smell, but there's one more of us. She's upstairs, sleeping."

"Lovely," was all Dean said, as he gave a small smile.

"Well, you should come in," Sandy said.

"Um, okay," Dean said, as he stepped inside. Sandy shut the door behind him, and instead of feeling trapped like he thought he would, Dean felt safe and comfortable.

He went and sat down on a chair across from the couch Rain was laying on. Sandy sat down beside Rain at their feet.

"Hey, uh, hippie chick--" Dean started after a bit, but was immediately interrupted.