chapter seven | out of touch

Dean awoke one afternoon a few days later to the sound of sobs. He opened his eyes, only to find Aria standing at the door, looking like she was wondering if she should wake him or not.

"Oh, you're awake. Dean, it-- it's Rain. They're missing!" she cried. "I've looked everywhere. Sandy said he-- he couldn't pick up a scent, and Cas said he didn't see anything last night. No signs, no-- no nothing!"

Dean rubbed his eyes and sat up. "What?" Suddenly, his hunger hit him like a truck and his fangs slid out.

Aria moved away slightly. "Are-- are you okay?"

"Not really," Dean mumbled, as he stumbled out of bed and made his way down the stairs, and into the kitchen. Aria followed, and watched as he downed a bag of blood.

She wiped her cheeks and said, "Dean, I think it was the rogue vamp we've been after. I think Rain was taken somewhere."

"Where's Sandy?" Dean asked.

"With Cas, out looking."

"No, Cas is here. I can smell him," Dean said, then followed the scent into the living area. Sure enough, Cas was seated on the couch, staring down at his hands.

"Rain is so sweet and kind," Cas mumbled to himself. "What would anyone want with them?"

Dean cleared his throat, which made Cas look up. He quickly stood and walked over.

"Hi, Dean," Cas said.

"I was thinking, maybe we should ask your brother for help," Aria suggested to Dean in a mumble.

"Yeah, I don't think that's in the cards right now," Dean said, trying to hide the shaky inflection in his voice. He turned his attention back to Cas. "Hey, Cas. You got anything?"

"Not really," he sighed. "Well, a woman was found dead in a parking lot not too far from here."

"It's the only lead we have," Aria said. She'd grabbed her holster and slipped it on. Then, she went for her gun, and something else.

"These," she said, "are a game changer. First off, they're silver. Second, they've been soaking in this dead man's blood for a few days now."

"Ah, good," Dean laughed nervously, not really understanding why she'd combine the two. "Not sure we need silver if we're hunting a vamp, though... Well, what're we waiting for? Let's go!"

"Uh, yeah. Sandy's not back yet," Aria said, stopping him.

As if on cue, the front door opened, and Sandy came stomping in. "I can't find them."

Aria went over and pulled him into a hug. "I hope they're okay," she whispered, her voice breaking slightly. She pulled away. "Cas found something that could be a lead, we're all gonna go check it out."

"Okay, I'll stay here," Sandy said. "Just in case they show up."

"Okay." Aria nodded. "Stay safe," she said, and kissed him.

"You too."

After that, they were off. When they arrived at the scene, Dean attempted to track Rain, but it was no use.

"I can't smell them," he said. "We should ask around, find out if anyone has seen them."

"We could also go have a look at the body. That way, we'll know if it's actually a vampire that killed the woman," Cas suggested.

"Should we split up?" Aria asked.

Dean looked at Cas for an answer to that, but he gave him nothing. "I don't know. Do you really think that's a good idea?"