chapter twelve | consolation

"Dean! Can you stop?" Rain called out into the forest -- at least, what little remained. They were on the edge of what looked like a city. "We've been walking for hours. The sun is horrible, I don't know how you can stand it. There's not even a single cloud in the sky!"

Dean ignored them, and continued on. By now, he was only following the bloodlust. It was the only thing on his mind. Well, they'd passed by a few animals and he'd managed to ignore them, so maybe he was in more control than he thought. Or maybe, he was looking for something better.

He made his way into an alleyway. There was a man stumbling along, clearly drunk.

"Dean, no!" he heard Rain yell. But it was too late.

When Dean came to his senses, he was covered in blood in the same alley. In front of him was the mangled corpse of the man he'd just brutally murdered. Sitting beside him was Rain.

"Did I--" his voice cracked slightly, and he cleared his throat.

"Yeah, you did," Rain whispered.

"Why didn't you stop me?"

"Dude, I tried. You're way stronger than me," Rain said. "I thought you'd kill me if I kept trying to intervene."

"I'm sorry," was all Dean could come up with to say. He put his head in his hands. "I'm so sorry," he said again, but this time it was muffled.

"Let It Be" was playing from a far off speaker, and Dean couldn't hold it all in anymore.

"Hey, at least we got rid of the bad vamp," Rain tried, placing a hand on his shoulder. "We're safe now, we can all live in peace."

Dean didn't say anything. It didn't even matter to him at this point. And what was a little ounce of peace when something else always came along to ruin it.

"In hindsight, you probably should have just drank from Cas," Rain said.

Dean looked up again. This time, he noticed something.

"Your face is really red," he pointed out.

Rain put a hand to their cheek and glanced to the side. "It's from the sun. I haven't had any blood and I'm not healing as fast."

"Oh. Sorry about that too," Dean apologized. "Uh, where are the others?"

"I don't know. They probably can't find us. The only one who has any chance of tracking us is Cas," Rain said.

"Sandy didn't come?"

"No, he stayed home to keep watch."

"Oh." Dean looked around. There were people walking on the sidewalks just outside where the were, just chatting and laughing like everything was normal. Well, it probably was for them. "Don't the people see the body? Why're they not doing anything about it?"

"My ex girlfriend was a witch. She taught me a few things, to the point where I was practically one too." Rain shook their head. "Anyway, no one can see the body. Besides us, of course. And the dried blood's hidden, too -- since it was his to begin with."

"Awesome," Dean said, and he meant it. At least, he thought it was cool that Rain was low-key a witch and all that, even if he always said he hated witches. But he knew Rain couldn't be the type of witch he despised. They'd never use anything like random bones or organs, because that's just who they were. If they must, they'd find another way.

"Hey, do you by any chance know where we are?" Rain asked suddenly.

Dean shrugged.

"Well, we were originally in Missouri," Rain pointed out. "I don't know what town, though."