chapter ten | not so bad

A couple days after his date with Cas, Dean had received a phone call from Sam, and had decidedly answered.

"Hey, Dean," Sam's voice was tinny over the phone. "I know I basically said that it'd be best if we don't speak again, but I think I found something you might want to know about."

Another voice could be heard in the background -- clearly a woman's.

"Sam, who are you with?" Dean asked.

"Um, Rowena?" Sam answered hesitantly.

Dean was immediately filled with concern. "What? Why?"

"What do you mean, why? She's a witch; I thought she could help with the whole vampire thing."

"Oh, the bad one? Don't worry, man. We got that covered," Dean lied. Well, technically Rain did have a scent.

"No, I'm talking about you, Dean. Look, we think we've found a cure."

Right at that moment, Cas walked into the room. Dean pointed at the phone and mouthed Sam, before shaking his head.

"That's a little rude, you know," Dean said.

Sam sighed. "See, now you're just not making any sense."

"What can I say? I'm used to it, and, honestly, I'm starting to think the whole immortality thing might be worth it," Dean admitted with a laugh.

Sam scoffed, but didn't say anything for a long while. After a bit, he asked, "Have you finally lost it, or something?"

"Dude, I'm pretty sure I lost it years ago."

By now, Cas had taken a seat across from Dean. He was looking quite concerned. Dean noticed and gave him a sure smile, and he relaxed a bit.

"Fine," Dean gave in. "What does the spell call for?"

"Uh, you know...just basic spell stuff."

"Like what?"

"Uh, well...rosemary, graveyard dirt, uh, the blood of a priest--" He faked a cough. "And the blood of, uh...of an angel."

"Yeah, because that definitely doesn't sound like it'd just kill me instantly." He rolled his eyes, though the only one who could see was Cas.

"Dean," Cas whispered.

Dean wasn't having it, and shushed him.

"Dean," Cas tried again. This time, Dean stood up, walked over, and sat down beside Cas -- only after rolling his eyes again. That seemed to make him quiet.

"Dean, I think we should at least try," Sam pleaded.

"Is that all? Only four ingredients?" Dean asked. "Is there anything else?"

"Well, there are a couple more..." he trailed off.

"What?" Dean urged. He didn't even realize how angry he must've sounded, until Cas placed a hand over his in a calming gesture.

"It also calls for the blood of the vampire who's being cured. And, uh...garlic."

"Is this a joke? Because it's not very funny, Sam."

"No, Dean! Why would I be joking about this? The other cure has garlic in it too, remember," Sam said seriously.

Dean didn't say anything.

"We won't know unless we try," Sam pleaded.

Dean looked over at Cas and caught his eyes. Cas rubbed his thumb over Dean's hand, and Dean was reminded of what had been on his mind for practically the entirety of the past week. He stared a Cas for a little while longer, before glancing away.