CHAPTER TWENTY THREE

Kathy's POV

The howls are getting closer and closer to the pack house which means that the fight is now at our door step, literally. Panicked screams pierce through the air, women hug their children to their bosoms as they move further away from the windows, Sandra holds a crying Ethan as she tries to get a hold of her breathes while the elderly huddle together in the middle of the living room.
"Hey, hey Sandra, come down" I say placing a hand on her back, " come on, deep breathes, okay, everything will be fine, give Ethan to me"
"It's fine honey, I will carry him" Mum says.
"Thank you Doris" she says handing a crying Ethan to her as she continues to breathe in and out. Dr Williams walks over to check on her vitals.
"You need to come down Sandra, it will not be good for the baby if your blood pressure spikes" Dr Williams says as she nods in understanding.

"We all must remain calm, we will move down to the bunker, it is no longer safe for us to be up here " I say lifting Vincent to carry him in my arms. We speed walk down the stairs into the long dark corridor dimly lit with overhead lights.
We stand in front of a large steel door that leads into the bunker. The shelter is reinforced with steel which should keep the pack members safe but I worry for my mate and the other warriors fighting, how did the rogues get this close to the pack house?
We push the door open, allowing the members inside. There are rows of beds, food storage areas and bathrooms inside the bunker. Once we settle down on one of the beds , I hand over my son to my mother, placing a kiss to his temple.
"I will be right back" I say facing her
"Where are you going?" she asks
"I need to go up there..."
"No honey, please, let the Alpha and the warriors deal with the rogues" Mum says grabbing a hold of my hand
"I know, I am not stepping outside the pack house, I will be right  back" removing my hand from her hold, I stand to walk away.
"Kathy! Don't do this!" she says but I do not turn back, heading straight for the door. 
Bernice, Shila, Dr Williams and other  members of the pack come together to close the heavy door, I step out of the bunker just as the door is about to be shut.
"Luna, what are you doing?, where are you going?" Bernice asks staring at me worryingly
"I have to go and see what's happening up there"
"No Luna, it's not safe" Sandra says standing behind Bernice rubbing her belly
"I will be fine, I will not step outside"
"And what if the rogues break in? No Luna, we need to stay in the bunker, the Alpha will tell us once it's safe" Bernice says wringing her hands
"I can't just sit here and wait, I promise I will be careful" I say as I back away from the door
"Am coming with you"
"No Bernice, you will stay here" raising my palm in front of her "lock the door, I will be back soon"
"Okay Luna" she says with furrowed eyebrows. I know she's worried about me, I know that they all worry for me but I need to do this.

Once the door is shut, I run upstairs to the sound of growls and whimpers. I need to see what's happening, Mellisa, Lea and other warriors are outside protecting the pack house. I hope they are safe.
Through a window in the kitchen, I can see that warrior wolves have formed a barricade around the house, they stand there ground even as dozens of rogues emerge from the forest, the warriors are trying there best to fight them off but they are being overwhelmed. Where is Michael? Where are the other warriors? I know that Michael is alive but why is he not here?
Four rogues descend upon a golden coloured warrior wolf, oh my goddess, it's Lea. Knocking her down, they surround her on all sides as she puts on a defensive stance, attacking her, she fights back but I can see that it is losing battle. I need to help her.
I waste no time as I open the kitchen door and jump from the top of the wooden stairs transforming into my brown wolf landing on my paws, running  towards Lea. I growl-bark as I knock one of the rogues off of her, the rogues then turn their attention to me as they try to sink their teeth into my fur , two more rogue wolves appear, catching me off guard and knocking me off my feet, large paws weigh me down as they press on my body, clawing my underbelly as blood flows. One rogue sinks it's teeth into my back, I try in vain to shake it off me but it is too strong causing me to whimper loudly as blood oozes down my back, Lea tries to pull the rogues off me but we are outnumbered . I feel numb, I shut my eyes waiting for the final blow to my neck when a large black shadow suddenly moves across my line of vision. My mate! his here, his scent is like a blanket of calmness that gives me peace amidst the chaos and pain, my vision blurs and soon I am covered in darkness.

"Kathy! Can...me" Michael?
"What the f....was...outside" Yes it's him, his scent permeates the air.
"Alpha, you nee...., she needs to change.... Dr Williams?
I am trying to open my eyes but they feel heavy. I open my mouth to speak but a whimpering sound is heard. I soon feel my bones being realigned and I feel pain, excruciating pain. A high pitched scream rings through my eardrums as I lose consciousness.