CHAPTER THIRTY FIVE

Kathy's POV

I came close to telling him about my meeting with the witch last night but I could not form words. Seeing him happy almost made me change my decision, only I reminded myself of the reasons of doing this, his happiness is only for the time being. Troubles will arise for as long as his with me, they simply wait in the shadows for the chance to torment us.
I take a walk through the pack to admire the scenery, it is beautiful here. Pack members smile and offer greetings wherever I go, I even find Florence and Mary who are enthusiastic in their greetings, if I did not overhear their conversation during the festival, I would think they genuinely cared for me but it is simply hypocrisy at its best. A hand on my elbow draws my attention, turning, I come face to face with the Beta female who stares at me intently like she is trying to solve a mystery based on my facial expressions.
"Luna, are you okay?" she asks, eyebrows knitted together.
"Yes I am, why wouldn't I be?"
"I don't know. You look like something is bothering you"
"I am fine" we walk arm in arm towards the few shops in the pack. "In fact, I have been thinking that we should go out to the human town for some fun. Like a girls' day out. What do you think?"
"Um-sure. That sounds like a great idea" she replies in a thin, uncertain voice.
"Great, we will have our day tomorrow"
We visit the few shops in the pack, greeting shop owners. Later, we head back to the pack house where we spend the rest of the day visiting the pack daycare, which is my favorite pass time.
The next day we drive to the human town,  Mellisa, Lea, Monica and other women of the pack join us on our trip, leaving our mates to take care of the children. We spend our time at the spar, hair salon, shopping and gossiping of course as expected. It is bound to happen when you are in group of women.
"Luna, you should get this one" Monica shoves lingerie into my hands. It looks more like strings of fabric than anything else. Sandra insisted that we buy sexy outfits to impress our mates.
"This barely covers anything" I quip holding up the 'piece of clothing'.
"That's the point" Monica defends
"what is the point, might as well be naked" placing the lingerie back, I look through the display rack trying to find the perfect outfit when I get that weird feeling like someone is watching me. Not wanting to draw attention I slowly tilt my head up and flick my eyes through the store, the all too familiar faces of my pack members come into a view as well as a few humans. At the far end of the store a young woman stands wearing a long sleeve green dress looking directly at me. She has olive skin, hazel eyes and long brown wavy hair. The hair, it can't be. could it?. Is she following me now? She simpers then walks out of the store. Does she want me to follow her? Against my better judgement I do just that.
"Luna, where are you going?" Mellisa calls out walking towards me. "Huh, I - am feeling thirsty, just going to buy a drink" I lie. It is better this way.
"I can buy it for you" she offers
"No!" I say a little too quickly "Thank you Mellisa, but I 'll manage" not waiting for her reply, I walk out of the store. I see the little witch heading towards the exit. Picking up my pace I slightly jog to the exit. Once outside, I see her turning the corner, running, I find her standing at the end of the deserted packing lot near the woods.
"For a wolf, you sure are slow" she taunts, standing with her hand on her hip staring at her nails. 
"No cloak today? aren't you afraid of me seeing your face?" I retort.
"Not at all Luna, I already told you my name, and besides me wearing a cloak the first time we met was just for the fun of it not that I didn't want you to see my face"
"What do you want?" the witch knows how to get under my skin.
"It is not about what I want Luna, it's about what I can do for you"
"I thought you said we would meet in two weeks"
"Yes but I also know that you made up your mind that very same night we met, so I  thought you may want to expedite things". She bounces on her toes with a grin on her face.
"Okay. Cut the bullshit. How did you know I was here? are you following me?" her persistence is irking me, she can't be helping me out of the goodness of her heart. Something is not right.
"Oh Luna" she cackles, "I always know where you are, witch remember" she says in a duh-tone.
"Okay creepy much. Why are you insisting on helping me? I never asked for your help".
" It's Like I said you called out to me through..."
"If you say tears, I swear to the goddess I will rip your tongue out!" She's hiding something, she didn't just stumble upon a wailing wolf in the forest.
"Who sent you?" I demand,
"No one sent me, I just want to help you"
"Why?" I growl, she recoils for a second then regains her composure retaining her evil smirk.
"Because you don't deserve to be Luna to one of the strongest packs in the world, can't you see it? Can't you feel it? The pack is weakening, its all because of you." she shrieks taking steps closer to me "Besides, the Alpha has to force himself to be with you because he has no choice, to see your wrinkled body, I bet he tells you to turn..."  a punch to her jaw knocks her off her feet. Straddling her, I land blow after blow all the while she grins, her teeth stained with blood. Mumbling under her breath, she waves her hand, I find myself flying through the air landing on my side. My body trembles as I fight with my Wolf,  she is trying  to break through, she wants her blood.
"The truth hurts doesn't it" the little witch laughs as she wipes the blood dripping down her chin with her sleeve.
I take deep breathes trying to gain control. It's not a good idea to turn into my Wolf in a human town. Most town folk believe that we belong to a cult.
"Do not be selfish Luna. Do what is best for your mate and the pack" she stands, dusts herself off "I will wait for you by the lake in twelve days time as per our initial agreement, if you do not come, I will assume that you do not want my help and leave. You will never see me again" I regain my composure, on shaky legs I stand back up.
"Goodbye Luna" the little witch disappears into the woods. I am left standing in the packing lot. I could run after the witch, kill her and bury her deep in the forest. Instead I walk back into the mall, my bloody hands in my jacket pockets heading straight for the restroom. 
I clean myself off not worrying about the scent because the little witch - Helen does not have one. I find my pack members sited by the food court. Mellisa jumps from her sit rushing towards me.
"Luna, you had us worried, where have you been?"
"I decided to take a straw around the mall and found this amazing store, guess I lost track of time"
"You didn't buy anything? What was the name of the store? Where is the drink?" She questions. I know Mellisa cannot easily be fooled, she is head warrior after all.
"Never mind, the store is not that great anyway" I need a distraction before I am caught in my lie "since Luna is back. let's go watch a movie" Sandra suggests
"Yes! thank...I mean uh-that's a great idea". We begin to talk about the options of movies available as we walk to the cinema.
One set of eyes continue to bore holes into the back of my head. Obviously not believing my lies even after my successful attempt at a distraction with Sandra unknowingly providing the perfect ruse. Like I said, that's why she's head warrior.