Chapter 2

As the man came closer, Olivia was able to recognize him. Her heart began beating rapidly.

"What's our little Miss Olivia doing here all alone?" the young man said, evil intent filling his eyes.

Olivia stepped back. "R-Richard... what do you want?"

Richard's eyes followed the movement of Olivia's shaking hands. Olivia had just realized he was aiming for the pouch of coins in her hand.

Before she could hide the pouch, Richard snatched it and held it up in the air.

"You're not getting this today," he sneered, his voice filled with rage.

Olivia jumped to reach it, but Richard was fast. She cried, "Please, give it back! There're five coins only!"

Richard smirked. "Only five coins. Five coins matter to you that much?"

The girl was finally able to get a hold of the pouch. She tried to pull it from his hand, but it went in vain.

Richard gave a remorseless laugh. "I could do anything for revenge, you know. This is nothing."

Olivia struggled to take the pouch, but it was torn instead. Each five of the coins fell and rolled on the ground. The girl knelt on the ground, trying to collect the coins. But it was too late; they were all gone.

She sobbed. I've lost all of them. Now, what will I say to mother? Everyone is going to starve tomorrow.

Richard stood there, silent. Olivia could feel his burning gaze on her.

Suddenly, an intricate shadow fell upon her. Olivia lifted her head up to see Richard had turned pale, panicking with widened eyes. "Wh-who are you?" he said in a trembling voice.

The shadow grew larger and Richard's eyes shook. With no hesitation, he ran to save his life.

Olivia stared at the running man with an open mouth. The shadow was gone, and all she could hear was the wind. Her tears had dried up.

The girl stood up, with nothing to take back home, and looked around. There was nothing, no one. She blinked several times in disbelief. What had just happened?

With the fear of something worse happening, Olivia rushed back home.

Soon, she reached her little home where everybody was asleep.

Olivia went to her room where she found a teenage girl sleeping on her bed. She thought, Poor Alice... She must have fallen asleep while waiting for me.

She felt sad for her sister. I'm so sorry.

The girl placed her basket on a small table, changed into her nightgown and headed towards the bed. Suddenly, the temperature dropped. Olivia felt an eerie presence behind her as she was about to lie down. Before she could turn around; two cold, white hands seized her from behind. One covered her mouth tight, the other held a shining sword by her neck.

Even in the painful grip, Olivia felt familiarity.

The coldness of the blade gave her a shiver. Olivia tried to scream, but a masculine voice whispered to her ear, "If you make a sound, I will slit your neck with this. It will not be a very pretty sight for this girl right here."

Everything about him was unknown to her, yet she felt like she had known him for years.

Olivia's heart raced as she felt his hair on the side of her face. There was an uncomfortable silence for a while, and Olivia found it alarming.

Two pairs of fangs ripped through her skin without warning. Pain had pulled her into its dark abyss. Something stingy was being injected into her neck. The world became blurry with her tears and soon, it turned black.