Chapter 21

When they were done reading, Ophelia felt a new surge to explore. What to explore, the world, Nordlys, herself, or Leon? She did not know.

On the next day, when she was about to go train with him, she noticed little white feathers on her wings. Gasping in ecstasy, she said, "Sir, look! My wings are going to be white!"

Seeing her run around him in joy, Leon smiled a little. Ophelia stopped in front of him and said, "Why are my wings white? I thought they would be black, just like yours."

"It is because you're different from me."

Ophelia nodded as she understood. Leon advised, "You need to be careful with them when you go outside. Don't let anyone see your wings. If they recognize you as a daylight vampire, you will be in trouble."

"Aye, Sir!"

"Can you try moving your wings?"

Ophelia nodded again and slowly moved her wings upwards.

"You need to fold your wings and hide them. Look at me," said Leon as he spread his wings out. Ophelia watched him in awe.

"Try following what I do," he said and slowly folded his wings behind.

She was confused; she could not catch what he was doing at first. When he repeated, she watched him carefully.

Looking back at her wings, she tried doing what she had seen. The first attempt failed; she ended up hurting herself by moving them in the wrong direction. Frustrated, she sighed. "This is so hard!"

Leon let out a chuckle. "I know, it is. But you should not give up yet."

Ophelia took a deep breath and tried again after Leon showed her. She moved her wings slowly, making sure she copied every move of Leon. When her wings folded just right, she grinned. "I did it."

Leon's wings disappeared into his back. It seemed as if they were gone. Ophelia's eyes widened in wonder. "How did you do that, Sir?"

"It works with magic. You should be able to do it by just telling your wings."

"Oh..." Ophelia closed her eyes and whispered, "Dear wings, please disappear..." Opening her eyes, she saw they were gone.

"You don't have to say it out loud," said Leon as he rolled his eyes.

Later, they went out to train.

Ophelia practised swinging her sword every day. When Leon saw her rapid improvement, he thought of teaching her how to fly.

It was a night when Grace was out of the house. Before Ophelia could change into her nightgown, Leon said, "Have you ever wondered how the night sky would look without the clouds?"

Ophelia looked back at him with curiosity. He was seated on the couch; his lips slightly curled up. It was unusual for him to talk about something trivial with such enthusiasm. She placed her finger on her chin, thinking. "Not really. I've seen it all my life: a sky lit up with stars."

Leon looked at his feet, smiling. "Don't you want to see how it is in Nordlys?"

The girl could understand he was disappointed in her indifference. She said nervously, "Y-yes, I do!"

Leon stood and walked towards the store room. "Then, let's go."

Feeling helpless, Ophelia put her cloak on and followed him out of the house through the back door.

It was eerily dark in the woods, almost pitch black. She was only able to divide the nearest trees from the background. The only bright thing she could see was the dim whiteness of Leon's shirt. Fearing that she might fall, she held tight onto his shirt.