Chapter 24

The man flew across the night sky over the busy cities of a land inhabited by werewolves. Though he flew in solitude, nobody was able to identify him. He was disguised as an owl.

The kingdom of Grupis possessed a small territory, with a densely populated capital. It was not dangerous to observe the place flying alone since they were unaware of whatever was going on in the sky. Leon believed they had no passion for the magnificent blue.

Sitting on the branch of a tree, he listened. He had been doing this for days.

"Do you think we will be able to do this?" said one of the two soldiers who were walking by.

"I heard that a magician from Nordlys will help us," replied the other one.

So... Nathaniel is working with them, Leon thought.

"How! We can't trust him, can we?"

"He was banished from the kingdom, remember?"

They sat under the tree and continued talking.

"Oh, that one. I hope he doesn't betray us."

"Why would he? Wouldn't the magicians do anything to ruin the kingdom that separated them from their families forever?"

"Yeah... you're right. But their magic is so powerful, I wonder if we can make any progress against Nordlys."

"Who cares about magic? As long as we have that magician, we will be able to catch the destruction and use it."

Leon flew away from the spot, thinking, If Nathaniel is working with them... we have to be careful of his men as well. I have to keep an eye on Ophelia.

He entered Nordlys through the barrier of clouds, still holding his disguise. Passing over the redwoods veiled in the darkness of the night, he reached the town. The streets were busy with nocturnal beings just like him.

He even came across one or two men flying in the sky, but they did not suspect him. Shapeshifting was uncommon among the vampires; they thought Leon was just an ordinary owl.

At home, Ophelia was busy preparing apple pie. Grace had brought the ingredients for her before she left for work.

As Leon arrived, he found the house to be warm, filled with a warm, sweet smell. He was somewhat astonished to see Ophelia working in the kitchen; her forehead and nose covered in tiny drops of sweat.

When she noticed his presence, she wiped her sweat with her sleeve and smiled. "Sir, welcome back!"

Leon stood still; his eyes scanning the kitchen lit up with candles. Noticing the pie sitting on a plate on the table, he muttered, "Is this what you were doing?"

The girl nodded enthusiastically.

"I told you not to do anything which would make the neighbours suspect that someone else is living here," he said all in one breath. "The house feels really warm, and... the smell is strong."

Ophelia's eyes became dull; she pouted and said, "I thought you would be happy..."

It was dawn; the outside was slightly lighter. The girl became busy serving the pie for two and did not look at him even once.

Grace had arrived from work with a warm smile. Ophelia greeted her and said, "I made the pie, Miss Grace! Please, take a seat."

The woman washed her hands and sat at the table, saying, "It looks great!" Taking a bite from the pie, she said, "It is delicious as well. Ophelia, didn't you use to work at a bakery before?"

Ophelia nodded and sat on a chair. She took bites of pie from her plate, saying, "I can bake many other things too."

The two of them ate and talked and Leon watched them from a corner. He stared at the pie with his arms crossed.

Grace looked at him and said, "Leon, why are you standing there? Come, join us."

Ophelia said with a frown, "He doesn't want to eat, Miss Grace."

The woman laughed seeing a twitch in Leon's face. "I see what happened. He said something because you were baking, didn't he?"

Leon sighed. "She is making the house lively in your absence, mother. The neighbours would definitely suspect."

"Oh, come on, Leon. You don't have to be responsible for everything. I'll handle them if they say anything."

Leon rolled his eyes; he walked towards a wooden shelf, opened its door, and took a bottle of blood out of it.

"Won't you eat it? It tastes really good."

"No, thank you. I don't have an appetite," he replied and sipped his drink.

Ophelia stared at the table with a dull face and bit her lower lip. Sighing, she groaned, "I worked so hard!"

Without finishing her food, she got up, walked towards the couch and threw herself dramatically onto it.

Grace shook her head while smiling. "You hurt her feelings, dear."

The man sighed and walked towards the chair which Ophelia had sat on. Taking his seat, he took a small bite from the unfinished piece of pie on Ophelia's plate.

He finished everything left on the plate and looked corner-eyed at the girl sitting on the couch. Clearing his throat, he said, "It is... sweet. Good."

His words were cold. Nevertheless, Ophelia beamed.

Plopping the pillow which had been in her arms onto the couch, she rose and exclaimed, "I'm glad that you like it, Sir!"

The three of them stayed at home that day; Leon did not take Ophelia out to continue teaching her flying or training her.