Chapter 19

"You have to hold the hilt with one hand," said Leon as he held his sword, "like this."

Ophelia tried to copy him. She placed her right hand firmly on the hilt of the wooden sword.

"Put your other hand on the end of the hilt."

She followed all of his instructions attentively.

"Alright. Now keep your feet the same distance as your shoulder width. Keep your arm forward."

***

Ophelia had trouble falling asleep for the next few nights. She only learned how to hold the sword, the basic stances, and a few strikes. Training on the last day did not drain her of much energy, but for some reason, she could not keep up for long.

Sighing, she turned around in bed. She could hear the passers-by talking and giggling as they strolled in the lively night.

It was not their voices that interrupted her sleep. She still had that uncomfortable sensation of falling from a tall place. The air that passed into her lungs did not feel enough. Her back was in pain.

She knew Leon was outside the bedroom, probably reading. Ophelia got up and staggered out of the room. Standing at the door, she looked at Leon, who had a newspaper in his hand.

"Ophelia, why haven't you slept?" he asked with a calm voice.

The girl regretted her decision to come to Leon after hearing his voice. Somehow it made her heart flutter even more. Before she could speak, Leon said, "Does your back hurt?"

Ophelia nodded. "I asked Miss Grace to give me medicine to reduce the pain, but she said that she couldn't. Why did she say so?"

Leon chuckled a little. "Because there is no medicine to reduce this pain."

Feeling disappointed, Ophelia sighed. She turned around and walked back into the room. Leon said, "I am sorry, but you have to endure it."

As she stepped inside, a crushing pain caused her to groan and fall on all fours. She could hear something crack inside her body, bringing tears to her eyes. Leon rushed to her while she stuttered, "I think I'm dying..."

"Just wait a little longer," said Leon as he crouched beside her. Ophelia was annoyed since she was suffering and he did not do anything about it.

Not being able to endure the pain anymore, she fell unconscious on her side.

Leon gave a sigh of relief, looking at the parts that grew out of her aching back. I wonder what could have caused so much pain for her to black out, he thought as he looked at her face. There were tiny beads of sweat on her forehead and nose.

The parts that extended from her back were mainly made of bone and skin, but Leon knew the feathers would soon grow.

He carefully placed one of his hands under her shoulder and lifted her. He made sure not to touch her back, supposing doing so would hurt her.

Wrapping his other arm around her hip, he gently picked her up. She was lighter compared to the last time he held her.

Dim rays of light entered through the window, telling him it was dawn. The room became slightly illuminated.

He walked to the bed with slow steps and laid her down, making sure her back did not touch the sheets. When he was done, he sat on the floor beside her.

Leon gazed at the girl sleeping beside him. She was a drop of sunshine that descended upon the kingdom engulfed in darkness.

He slowly removed the strands of hair covering her neck. There the scar was; the evidence that his fangs had pierced into her delicate skin. The corners of his lips rose a little as he ran his fingers over the mark, feeling a hint of delight.