Chapter 5

"Ophelia, wake up," a feminine voice mumbled.

The blackness disappeared gradually and Olivia saw Danielle and Leon standing in front of her. Suddenly remembering everything that happened, Olivia began to panic. "W-what just happened?"

"It'll be okay, Ophelia."

Stop calling me that!

Olivia calmed down and sighed. She tried to forget what she had seen earlier.

"And look at you; you need some good clothing- and arms to defend yourself. Come with me," said Danielle.

Danielle gave her a black linen dress and a dagger. The dress fit her perfectly, though it looked too loose at the beginning. She gave her a black cloak and told her that the red one was "suspicious" in populated areas.

The dagger was kept sheathed in her belt. Danielle said, "He will teach you how to use this."

Olivia only nodded.

Danielle also gave her a red dress of the same design and a tote bag to carry the things.

The white-haired witch sat to talk a little more to her, but she never got the chance to. Someone knocked on the door several times all of a sudden, while Danielle beckoned Leon and Olivia to hide.

Leon took Olivia out of the peculiar building through the back door and ran. But soon a group of day guards were running behind them.

"You're running too slowly, Ophelia. We need to be faster!" shrieked Leon.

"I can't run any faster!" Olivia yelled at him.

Leon picked her up in his arms and stretched his wings out. He rose high at a great speed, and soon they were above the clouds.

Olivia could breathe freely in the open air. She found it to be refreshing, although it was tough for Leon.

"How long?"

Leon looked at her with a confused expression. "What?"

"How long are we going to stay here?" she asked in a hollow voice.

"If you don't want to stay up here then I'll land right now-"

"No," she whispered. "I don't want to go down."

Leon sighed and kept flying. He tried his best to cover himself, but the sunlight somehow found its way to his skin.

Enduring the discomfort, Leon flew on.

***

"Hey, we've landed already," said Leon calmly. Olivia was holding him tight; she let go and stood on the ground with wobbly feet. They were in the fiery redwoods again.

Leon started to walk, saying, "We're far enough. They won't find us here for the rest of the day."

The girl followed him at a slow pace. She looked tired and pale. Leon looked behind and said, "Is everything okay?"

Olivia inhaled. "I-I feel sick."

She felt saliva filling her mouth rapidly. Within a moment, she threw up the breakfast Danielle had given to her.

The girl glared at Leon when she was done and straight. "I am fine."

Leon started walking and said, "That dive must have been deep. You threw up all of what you ate."

Olivia did not respond, instead only walked behind him weakly. She was having enough.

Leon said, "You must be hungry, right? Look, there's a blackberry vine." He walked to the blackberry vine to pick some berries.

This is it.

Olivia slowly walked to him, taking a dagger out of her belt.

It's time to end this.

The girl was a few inches away from him. Leon was busy picking blackberries from the vine.

Olivia took a deep breath and raised the dagger high.

Before she could realize it, Leon turned around and held her wrist tight, preventing her from attacking.

"W-what?" the girl gasped as she looked at his glaring eyes. Leon was holding her wrist tight, causing her pain.

Olivia struggled against him and punched his chest several times, but she still could not get him to release her hand. She shrieked, "Let me go!"

"Why should I?" he asked her with a sly smile.

Listening to his words, Olivia became pale.

"Please, let me go!" she cried, struggling. The dagger fell from her hand.

"You planned to attack me, and I'll let you go? Not so easily," Leon said coldly.

Olivia stopped punching him and mumbled, "I'm sorry. Please let me go..."

Pain...

The familiar feeling was somewhat painful for her.

Who are you?

With her eyes being blurred by her tears, she looked at Leon. A fist rose in the sky.

Olivia felt a crushing pain in her head and thick liquid running down her nose. She felt a cold breath fall on her face as she fell unconscious.

***

Letting out a breath, Leon caught Olivia right before she fell to the ground. He picked up the dagger and put it where it was.

Leon took out a glass shard from his pocket and rubbed it. A grey smoke-like substance came out of it and formed a big hole. Leon picked Olivia up and carried her on his back.

"Here goes nothing," he sighed and stepped into the dark hole.

A breeze blew and the hole closed itself.

For a few seconds, the two of them were moving in utter darkness. The place had no ground; they were floating.

Leon had a look of disappointment on his face. I was not looking forward to this.

A few seconds later, he saw a small light that came closer and closer, until all of the surroundings turned white.

The light slowly began to fade away, revealing a place different from before.

Leon blew a strand of hair that fell on his face. He looked around and found himself on an empty bridge. The sun was setting.

I have so much time left.

Leon switched Olivia to his front and stretched his wings out. He looked around one more time before rising high in the sky.

As he flew in the purples and oranges of the evening sky, he made sure not to be seen by people.

A golden line stretched along the horizon of the greenery far away. Leon looked at it before he sneaked into the balcony of a noble person's house.

The sun was gone, revealing the hidden stars.

Leon had entered into a dark bedroom, in which there stood a young man, frightened. The person lit a lampshade and Leon saw the face of Cecil Florentino.

The red-haired man asked with widened eyes of surprise, "What are you doing here... again?"