Chapter 11

Ophelia had never seen Leon like this. A few nights after their long walk around the city, Leon hurriedly took her to a hall on the opposite side of the library. A shelf slid to the side as he pulled out a book. He told Ophelia to go into the darkness and wait for him to come back.

Before he slid the shelf back to its place, Ophelia saw the distress on his face. He was unnaturally pale, his eyes shaking. And then he went away, leaving her in the dark.

The girl was terrified as well. She began to step back without noticing the long staircase behind her.

A gasp escaped her lips as she slipped and fell from the top of the staircase. Just as she screamed, something caught her and prevented her from falling. The touch was cold and tough. Ophelia's heart began to race. She held tight onto her bag containing a few books and her belongings.

For a moment she forgot how to breathe. A bunch of thoughts swayed through her mind. Where am I? Why did he leave me here, in this cold place?

Ophelia felt like she was slowly being dragged down. When she stopped, she heard a voice. "So, you are Ophelia Silverton, right? The future tragedy of an entire kingdom."

The low, feminine voice sent chills down her spine. Future tragedy?

Leon had never told her about this. Ophelia hugged her tote bag tighter and asked, "Who are you?"

A bright light filled the entire place. Ophelia found out that the creature that snaked around her body was a giant white serpent with glowing scales. Its bright cerulean blue eyes were staring straight into hers. Ophelia's body trembled at the sight of the serpent.

The glowing serpent answered her question. "I am Cuseiphin. I won't hurt you, so don't be afraid." She let Ophelia stand on the ground. The girl was still slightly trembling and tightly holding onto her tote bag.

Cuseiphin said, smiling, "He left you here, didn't he? There must be something wrong up there."

Ophelia ignored Cuseiphin's words and said, "What were you saying earlier? The tragedy..."

"He didn't tell you anything? Oh my, oh my." Cuseiphin continued after a pause, "Look around. These spirits are afraid of you because you are meant to destroy an entire kingdom."

Ophelia looked around and saw the little white ghost-like creatures stepping away from her, looking at her with frightened eyes. She looked back at Cuseiphin and asked, "Is that what he wants me to do? Destroy Nordlys?"

Her words were melancholic for Cuseiphin. Cuseiphin's scales became slightly less bright than before. The serpent smiled a little and said, "I don't know what he wants to do, but I'm sure that his intentions are worthy."

They were silent for a while until Ophelia noticed the enormous cut in Cuseiphin's body. "What happened to you?" she asked with a look of concern, pointing at the wound.

Cuseiphin looked at it and said, "Oh, it was him. He did it so he could get away from me."

Ophelia frowned, cursing Leon in her mind. "Why is he so cruel?"

Cuseiphin laughed. "You see, I was guarding the foretelling of destruction. I was too stubborn to give it to him, so he had to do this to me. But I don't mind."

"You mean this book?" said Ophelia as she took the heavy book from her bag.

"Yes, exactly. Make sure nobody sees it except you and him. If this goes into the wrong hands, we all will die," warned Cuseiphin.

Ophelia nodded and kept the book in her bag. "I promise I will keep it safe."

Cuseiphin smiled.

Just then, someone came down the long staircase. It was Leon and he was panting in exhaustion. "Ophelia, we're going."