Chapter 7

Alice quickly went into their house and ran to her room. When Olivia followed her direction, she found Alice on the bed.

The girl was lying flat on her face.

Olivia sat beside her and said, "Hey."

Alice turned her head to look at her. Her eyes were red and wet.

"I'm still not sure why he brought me back here," said Olivia.

Alice smiled and said, "I'm sure he was mistaken. Now go, change your clothes. Looking at your dress makes me sweat."

Olivia looked down and thought. I wish it was his mistake, but why do I keep feeling like this? As if I don't belong here in this place. After coming back, everything feels distant...

Why am I scared?

Later, Olivia changed into a dress comfortable enough for the warm weather.

She hung her black dress inside the armoire by a hook and kept the dagger below. The girl took her nightgown from the bag and threw the bag into the armoire. She took her boots off and kept them with the dagger. She frowned at the sheathed weapon, before slamming the two doors shut.

With a sigh, she returned to Alice who was still lying flat on the bed. She stayed quiet, not knowing what to say.

Olivia's silence bothered Alice. Alice got up with a frustrated look on her face. Her greasy brown hair was tangled, which made Olivia hold back a chuckle. The two of them did not talk much the rest of the day, and Alice seemed to be upset about it.

In the evening, Cecil Florentino arrived at their home, intending to visit the family. It was only a short visit; one he did every evening after Olivia's disappearance. The Leroy family always gained special attention from the Florentinos. Perhaps it was because the family was needy.

Mrs Leroy had been ranting to him about the return of Olivia, though he did not seem much happy about it. He refused to meet her and left shortly.

The news of Olivia's return spread quite quickly. And so did rumours, with the regular arrival of the Count at the Leroy's place.

***

Alice slept with Olivia, as usual, one night, but when the dawn approached, Alice could not but stay away from her. She was in tears seeing her sister with fangs. The fangs of a vampire.

"Sis... p-please don't do a-anything to me."

The girl was frightened because Olivia could not control herself. Olivia tried to hold herself back, but her effort went in vain. She could not stop herself from biting the girl's wrist.

Alice shrieked, pulled her hand and ran out of the room. Her wrist was bleeding even more from the sudden pull. She slammed the door out of terror, locking Olivia inside.

The morning was quite chaotic for the Leroys. Though Alice stated that she was alright - and that she wanted to meet Olivia - her sister refused to come out of the room. In fact. Olivia had refused to eat or drink the whole day, and when anybody came to talk to her, she would send them away.

Once Alice was on her way back home after taking her lessons, she heard a few older girls gossiping. Alice was at a distance from them to listen to the entire conversation, because it was about Olivia.

"Do you know that the Count used to visit the Leroy's every day after hearing the news of Olivia's disappearance?"

"I know! It's strange how he pays special attention to her."

"I heard that she seduces the Count and gets his money. The family is somehow always safe from hunger even though they don't earn much!"

Alice had had enough of their conversation. She walked up to them and yelled with rising fury, "How dare you talk about my sister like that?"

One of the girls laughed and came forward to her. She said, "Isn't it a bad habit to eavesdrop?"

Alice's fists tightened and her face turned red; she was almost ready to hit the girl. She said with gritted teeth, "Answer my question first."

"Isn't it obvious? She has always been suspicious."

"No, you're the ones spreading rumours everywhere!" protested Alice.

The girls shared glances and snickered. One of them put her hand on Alice's shoulder and said, "What if it's the truth? What will you do then?"

Alice yelled, "It's not true! All of you are liars who should rot in hell!"

"Ask your sister and see."

Knowing that she was angered beyond her limits and that she could not create a scene there, she ran. She ran as fast as she could and when she reached home, the first thing she did was knock violently on Olivia's door.

"Sis, are you there?"

"Alice..." replied a weak voice from the other side.

"Everyone outside... is spreading nasty rumours about you. Aren't you going to do anything about it?"

"Let them. How much does it matter?"

Olivia's voice was hopeless and careless. Alice stood at the door and silently wept. She felt like the world just would not listen to her.

Suddenly, she heard Olivia. "Alice, go away. How long are you going to stand here?"

Alice smiled wryly. "You're going to leave us behind. That's why you don't care about what people say."

Olivia was silent as if she did not know what to say. After a moment of silence, she opened her mouth. "I talked to mamma about it. She..."

The girl stopped, knowing she would not have to say the rest. She knew Alice was gone when she heard from her no more. The realization was heart-wrenching; it only left Olivia in regrets and dismay.

Olivia had talked to Mrs Leroy, asking her about the past. Everything Mrs Leroy had said was true. Everything matched with what Olivia had seen in the 'ocean of memories'.

Olivia thought about it the whole day.

"If you want to go... I won't stop you."

Her mother's words kept ringing in her ears. She thought, What am I supposed to do?

It all happened the day before Alice's encounter with the older girls. Olivia had already decided by dusk.