Chapter 16

Isabella screeched in pain and randomly swung the dagger left and right. "Get off of me!"

She felt dizzy as her blood was being drained. Her vision became blurred. She swung her dagger close to Ophelia's hands that were holding onto her neck. Ophelia finally let go of her and let her collapse to the floor.

Isabella glanced at Ophelia and whispered, "But I trusted you."

The last thing she saw before fainting was drops of blood on the floor; she was not sure whom it belonged.

Ophelia stared at the unconscious girl as she took sharp breaths. What have I done? She was filled with guilt.

She wondered if it was the right thing to wake her up before drinking. However, there was nothing better she could have done.

Blood slowly flowed out of the wound on her forearm. Ophelia pressed it tight with her cloak to stop the bleeding. She regretted losing control because it made her alone again.

Taking her belongings, she ran away from the little cottage. Crickets chirped in the darkness of the night, and Ophelia felt the same coldness of the time when Leon had abandoned her. She felt that no matter whom she met, she would be alone because of the person she was meant to be. She walked forward, not caring if she would accidentally go deeper into the woods.

She did not know if it was fortunate, but she found herself out of the woods in a while. She felt dizzy as the wound was still bleeding, and there was no one around. What am I supposed to do now?

Ophelia looked around desperately. There was only a road; no houses or people. There was a faint light at the far end of the road. She wondered if it was safe to go there. Still, she walked towards the light and a while later, she found herself in a busy place. It was not too crowded, but she could easily tell everyone was a vampire there.

There were little shops that sold jars filled with red liquid along with other necessities. The sight of those jars disgusted her a little bit, but she soon got over that feeling. She realized that blood did not taste that bad.

Ophelia slowly walked, nearly staggering. The wound was still bleeding and she tried to hide it as much as possible. She felt a hand grab onto her arm and pull her towards a dark alley.

"What?" she whispered after a shriek. The man stood beside her, resting against a wall. She knew very well who it was.

The man pulled his hood down and Ophelia saw the face of Leon Johannessen. She was surprised at the fact that he had returned. He did not look at her. He asked, "So, how have you been doing without me?"

Ignoring his question, Ophelia asked, "Why are you back?"

There was no response. Both of them had decided not to answer each other's questions.

Leon broke the silence, saying, "You smell like blood."

The girl took her blood-stained dagger out and showed it to him. She stuttered, "Well... I had to get rid of someone who was trying to kill me."

Leon took the dagger from her hand. He smelled the dry blood and gave a mocking laugh. "It's your blood."

Ophelia's face turned red. She sighed, "You're right."

The man snickered. "How did someone injure you with your dagger? This is insane." He added, "The smell is strong. Are you still bleeding?" Leon finally looked at her for searching the wound.

Ophelia rolled her eyes and said with annoyance, "I'm fine."

Soon he found the wound and said with a hint of concern in his voice, "That is a deep cut..." Sighing, he added, "Come with me."