ch.21 My Golden Angel

I walked toward the pale street light and saw a tall, lean figure walking toward me. His green eyes shone brightly against the ink-black sky. It was Harry.

I ran to him, hoping that Danny was still asleep. Harry’s black leather jacket was unbuttoned.

He pulled me against his bare chest, his hard but eternally warm chest until I was sure I couldn’t breathe. His arms wrapped around my waist twice fold, holding me to him, as if I might fly away. 

I tugged at the collar of his black leather jacket, wanting to show him that I would never let go. I kissed his neck quickly, then slowly, wanting to find his sweet spot. I let my fingers tangle in his dark, curly locks.

I wanted him to be closer. To be inside me.

“Angela,” he whispered into my hair as he kissed down my neck. I wrapped my arms around his neck, as if that might make him stay longer. Make the moment last longer.

I nodded into his shoulder. 

It was still so unbelievably dark. But it didn’t matter, I was in his arms and I knew he wouldn’t let go. I knew I would never let go.

“Harry?!” a savagely aggravated voice shouted from a couple yards away.

My heart sunk in my chest. It was Danny.

Harry turned around and stood his ground. He wasn’t a coward. He respected Danny and he was willing to take the punishment for going behind his back. He was willing, but I wasn’t.

“You lying sonofabitch,” Danny spat.

“Danny, I’m sorry,” Harry began to apologize, even though I knew-- or at least I hoped-- that he didn’t regret what he had said or done.

Danny ignored him. He raised his arm and threw a lethal punch at Harry’s porcelain face.

Harry staggered back and covered his nose with his hand. The punch had hit him point-blank.

“DANNY!” I screamed in an agony as my voice cracked.

I ran to Harry’s side and tilted his face up slowly, knowing what I would see would be more poison than anything Danny could ever do or say to me.

Danny pushed me back so hard, I fell to the ground. 

Harry ran to me, trying to help me up, but that only angered Danny even more.

Danny threw punch after jab after punch at Harry’s face and chest. Harry just stood there, accepting every blow as punishment for lying to Danny. It was a moment like this where I wished Harry wasn’t so noble, such a-a knight in leather armor.

“You- little- bastard! Fuc*king- sonofabitch. All this fuc*ing time! ” Danny shouted between punches.  His voice shook with a poisonous, delusional anger.

I stared in horror as his blood drip down to the black asphalt of the road. I wished every drop of blood was mine.

After an eternity of torture, Harry fell to his knees and Danny shoved him down on the ground.

“Danny, I’m sorry,” Harry apologized, his deep raspy voice shaking with the pain of a thousand broken bones.

I threw myself in front of Harry, trying to cover his breaking body with my trebling one. Danny grabbed me by waist and yanked me away.  

Danny began kicking him in the gut, in the groin, until he literally clutched every last bone in his body.

“Danny! Please! Stop You’re going to kill him!” I screamed until my voice felt numb.