ch.62 Decent

The judge called Louis to the stands again.

Louis and his dad were even more surprised than I was.

But the momentary fear and confusion in their eyes made me breathe easier.

“Mr. Tomlinson, it has been established that you had a birthday party on the 24th of December. And at that party, you said that you saw miss Angela Lorenzo” the judge reiterated.

Louis looked at her hesitantly and nodded, unsure where she was going with it.

“Mr. Tomlinson, are you attracted to Miss Angela Lorenzo?” she asked bluntly, folding her arms over her chest.

“Wha-what? What does that have to do with anything-” he asked quickly.

“And I quote, ‘I seem to remember her wearing a red dress. A very nice red dress’” the judge announced.

The room was silent, all eyes on Louis.

Louis nodded. “Well, she is a beautiful girl-” he started.

“Yes or no” she asked tersely.

“Yes, your honor” Louis replied calmly.

“So it is fair to say that you tried to talk to her at your party?”

“Ye-yes”

“Did you talk to her or did you try to touch her?” the judge asked for clarification even though I could sense she knew the answer.

Louis looked down, intertwining his hands in his lap. 

“Mr. Tomlinson” she spoke through clenched teeth.

I looked over and saw Liam a few rows away. He looked flustered, like his old, quiet, soft-spoken self again. I could see his hands shaking slightly, like he was moments away from jumping up from his seat.

“No I-” Louis flustered. A cold sweat drop ran down his brow.

He wiped it away.

“He’s lying!” Liam shouted as he stood up from his seat.

“He asked me if I had seen her and I said “yes’” Liam continued.

The judge watched him carefully.

“Angela, I’m sorry I had no idea what he was going to do. I swear” Liam apologized as he turned to look at me.

I watched him with wide eyes.

My chest tightened dangerously.

“Settle down, son” the judge banged her mallet.

“He’s lying!” Liam shouted over and over.

The guards pulled him down.

He sat down and watched me with his sullen, puppy dog eyes. He was waiting for my approval.

I nodded slowly.

He smiled weakly.

All eyes turned to Louis again.

“What is your answer, Mr. Tomlinson?” the judge asked.

“Both” he spoke into his lap.

A few gasps escaped the mouths of audience members.

“Your honor, this is hardly appropriate-” Mr. Tomlinson tried to reason.

“Keep your mouth shut!” she threatened with her mallet.

“And when she refused you, what did you do?” the judge incited, arching a dark brow at Louis. Louis looked at her in fear, unsure how she knew I had told him ‘no.’