Chapter 4: The One with the Vampire

On our way back to the office, Adiba got an urgent call from one of our Logistic managers asking her to pick up a few art supply deliveries from Universal (Art Store). Areeb and she, bitched about the extra long detour all the way to the store. After dropping her off, he offered to drop me back to the office and I reluctantly accepted. It felt weird being alone with my oldest friend who now acted like a stranger.

En-route to the offices, our easy going conversation turned awkward when he probed me about my relationship status.

"So, can we expect to see a Mr. Mina Amin in the near future?" He teased, his smile not reaching his eyes. He seemed curiously nervous.

I snorted, "As if dude! Look at me, I am hardly marriage materiel; too tall, too un-domestic, too-"

"Too gorgeous, too smart, too talented for any man I know of" he finished for me. His tone so artlessly blunt, I couldn't help but realize he believed every word he was saying.

I blushed. Seriously? what the hell is wrong with me??? I never blush! especially from a compliment by someone I have seen in diapers.

"Well, there have been a few proposals..." I began hesitantly. Unsure about what to tell him. We have never discussed such "Grown-up" stuff before. Our conversations generally centered around books, movies, careers, mutual friends etc. Somehow, even discussing such a topic with him is weird, because it signifies a lot of stuff for us. Perhaps it means that we're truly grown-up now, that we're no longer the inseparable kids who ran around getting into trouble all the time. I don't know why, but I don't want to lose that; the illusion of childhood.

His grip on the steering wheel tightens, quite measurably.

"I am pretty sure you are too good for them Min! You deserve someone who will treat you like a Queen!" He throws an intense look my way.

I feel the fluttering of butterflies in my stomach. He is so beautiful. There's no other way to describe him. The silky hair which curls at his nape,and falls rakishly over his forehead. His skin is nicely tanned, barely any stubble visible. Deep black eyes set beneath a pair of manly eyebrows, oh and his cheekbones! Holy Hotness, my best friend is a hottie!

EMV does an eye roll at my description.

"What makes you think I should be treated like a queen?" I prod him jokingly.

"You're such a good friend, always watching out for us. Loving us, not judging us. You're so innocent and naive sometimes that I feel like you should never receive a reality check. Besides, you have the biggest most gorgeous pair of..." He trails off mischievously.

I gasp, and try to hit him with my handbag.

"...eyes! Minnie! I meant you have gorgeous eyes! Geez!" He chuckles.

I blush some more. Darn my pale complexion! I suppose my coloring was rare and celebrated within my own culture. It seems so silly and superficial, but Pakistani standards of beauty are firmly rooted in a particular stereotype. Pale, whitish "Gori" coloring, paired with delicate feminine body type.

While my tall frame was hardly delicate, I did have a slender figure. So according to our culture, I was a "Perfect Bride" . I find it ironic that I had nothing to do with being "Perfect". Allah made me this way. My feminine sensibilites were rattled for other less fortunate girls in Pakistan who were blessed with the regular brown "Paki" look, because their own brand of beauty wasn't celebrated. Our personalities were reduced to what we looked like and where we were born. Pathetic, and so anti-Islamic it was shocking.

"Minnie." Areeb whispered my old nickname.

"Yeah Areeba?" I teased back with his old nickname (A girl's name)

"If I say something crazy, would you still be my friend?"

"Are you joining the ISIS?"

"WHAT! No!"

"Are you a vampire?"

"Yes I am, but only during winters. It gets exhausting being pale and sexy all year round."

"Okay fair enough. Hmm...I guess I will still be your friend."

He takes a deep breath. His eyes show nervous resolve.

"Will you marry me?"

......................

Author's note:

Well.THAT escalated quickly! :P Teehee.

The photo of this absolutely gorgeous Armenian Beefcake is my Areeb.

*pant* yess, I know. ;)

PS: His name is Aram Gevorgyan. Happy Stalking.