Chapter 42: The One With The Moon

"I hope she'll be a fool - that's the best thing a girl can be in this world, a beautiful little fool."

― F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

It's Chaand Raat already. The eve of Eid-Ul-Azha. To say that I'm still upset over Areeb's gifts is an understatement. I can't stop thinking about his rejection, and his words on the day he destroyed me. Maybe it's a tad bit melodramatic, but I seem to be incapable of getting over that particular hurt.
It really is all about firsts....
Do you remember the first man who landed on the moon? Neil Armstrong of course. Now, do you remember the second guy? or the third guy? Unless you're a big NASA fan, you wouldn't know about it. Nobody would expect you to know about it.
Areeb is my Armstrong, and a girl always remembers the first boy who broke her heart.

So, try as I might, I can't simply erase his memory, his hurt from my mind. I wordlessly handed over the cake to Shazia Auntie (Shehzer's Aunt) next door, making up some excuse that it was a Pre-Eid cake. I couldn't throw away his note and other things though. I had slipped them inside a handbag of mine, unwilling to stare too long at them.

I think Shehzer knows something is up. He isn't out rightly saying anything, but he had subtly asked me about my subdued mood during our phone talks. For now, the wedding+Eid fatigue is working as an excuse. However, his arrival today (along with a dozen other family members) from Lahore, makes it a little difficult to pretend normalcy.

......

Adiba and Ali are out of the house doing last minute grocery shopping and chores for Eid. We had shot down Ali's idea to get a sacrificial animal for our home, opting for a communal sacrifice at a Masjid. This eliminated the blood and gore from our place, and actually helped the Masjid's finances. Both Shehzer and Ali had loudly protested this, obsessed with animal rearing that these two are, but we managed to win this round.

"There are plenty of animals in our neighborhood, why don't you go feed them, and pet them, and snuggle with them if you're so desperate." Adiba huffed at Ali.

"But...but...it's just not the same!" he wailed back like a little boy. I swear this Eid was designed for the pleasure of the male species.

"No duh, it isn't the same! we won't be smelling goat poop from as near now." she snorted back.

I was ironing out the clothes for tomorrow when my cell-phone buzzed with a text.

Shehzer: Roof. Now.

My stomach dropped at this. Does he know?

Mina: Why?

Shehzer: Just come yaar, have to show you something.

Mina: Mom said not to be alone with you before the wedding. Ha.

Shehzer: *Sigh* I'll call my cousins too. Just come.

Mina: It's not an animal is it? I'm not a big fan of Non-feline animals.

Shehzer: LOL. No it's not.

Mina: Ok. Five minutes.

I stepped up on my roof to find Shehzer, Devil Spawn, and a couple of teen-aged girls on their side of the roof, staring up at the darkening sky for something.

"Hey!" I called out.

Shehzer grinned widely as he sprang the ledge separating us. I felt my heart stutter as he drew near. In his form-fitting T-shirt, and old jeans, he looked relaxed and happy, not to mention utterly gorgeous. I saw his eyes flash back to my hands, to his ring, before his smile turned even softer.