Chapter 10: The One With the Princess

I woke up on Sunday morning with an unfamiliar dread pooled in my stomach. It took me a few minutes to realize why I felt anxious: Areeb. The Car. Marriage. Groan.

My Mom and Dad were overly attentive to me during breakfast. (We had the traditional Sunday breakfast Halwa Puri from a local snack-house) The excessive babying made me suspicious. When I saw Dad's eyes swim with a hint of emotion, I realized that Mom must have told him everything. 

Ali was his usual obnoxious self. He ate 5 puris before clutching his stomach and waddling to the toilet. He looked like a pregnant panda, with his Black pyjama Tee, and bloated tummy. After conducting his "business" he sat down and broke his silence.

"So are we not discussing the whole Mina-Areeb situation or what?"

I gasped, turning to Mom, "You told HIM?"

Mom was totally unfazed, "Of course we told him. He is your older brother, he has some say in this decision too. He has grown up with you two."

"That's right baby sis. You ain't walking down no aisle without my say so." He winked at me, Took a really long swig of his Orange Juice, then let out a burp-for my benefit I assume.

"Ugh. Grow up you neanderthal!"

"Is this how you will talk to your in-laws? huh? They will come to us crying after a week begging for a refund."

"DAD!"

"Ali, don't tease your sister."

"If she can't take my teasing right now, how will she take the usual Saas-Bahu (Mother-In-Law) Drama? Or evil Sister-in-law's antics? huh? huh?"

"FYI, He is an only child, and also, Auntie won't torture me like you do." I got up from the table, immediately clearing up leftover dishes. I whipped Ali's unfinished OJ out from his hand despite his protests. I needed a breather from my family right now.

......

By afternoon, The weather got so beautiful that I was tempted to call Adiba and Areeb for a hangout plan. But I couldn't speak to either one without having a mini-meltdown. I headed to my roof instead.

After my own room, my roof is my favorite place in the house. It has a tiny store-room, surrounded by a big empty space. The space was converted by my brother into a makeshift basketball court. It was tough to play ball there though, because one wrong bounce, could send it down two stories into an air duct built for ventilation purposes.

We did have a two-seater swing installed in a corner though. It was plain wood, painted by myself years ago. I had gone with a very ethereal, fairy/unicorn theme with the swing. I still loved curling up on it with a sketchpad or book. Just me. Alone with my thoughts. EMV yawns; 'Emo much?' I ignore her.

I nearly have a heart attack when I see that someone is already sitting on my swing. The scream lodged in my throat was barely suppresses before I recognized who it was.

Shehzer. And a girl.

They hadn't noticed me yet. So I had time to rearrange my expressions into saying something other than "Get away from my swing before I hurt you."

"Hey, am I interrupting something?" I ask coolly.

His head whips around and shock fills his eyes, before they morph into a guilty smile.

"Mina, hey! sorry for trespassing. Rania, saw your swing from our side of the roof, and wanted a closer look at the paintings. I am sorry, I should have asked you guys before climbing the ledge."

Rania...who was she? I stepped closer to the swing, and I saw...purity. Seriously, the girl perched on the swing, was innocence incarnate. She looked barely 9 or 10; soft brown hair, round face, small beady eyes, and a mouth that looked liked it was perpetually smiling. I think I just fell in love with a girl.

Shehzer took my gaping look as insult maybe, and I saw his stance change to that of a protective male lion around Rania.

"Won't you introduce us?" I asked him, my own lips smiling in response to her smile. He relaxed at my question.

"Of course! ahem...Rania, this is Mina, she is an old...friend. Mina, meet Rania-My baby sister."

His sister? He didn't have one while he last visited us. She must have been born after he stopped visiting.

"Hello Rania, How are you?" I crouched to look her in the eyes.

"Hi Minnna. I like your swing." her speech was slightly slurred and difficult to understand. That's when it hit me. This beautiful girl was special.

I didn't know whether to praise the lord for her beauty, or rant at him for the injustice of it. I ended up thanking Him for not making me this way. Alhamdolilah for blessing me with mental, and physical health.

Shehzer was closely monitoring my reaction to Rania. I don't know what he expected me to do. She was a beautiful human being, mashallah, with or without her disabilities.

"You like my swing? really? I painted it myself!"

She wiggled with excitement over this news. I ended up sitting beside her, guiding her hand to all the tiny caricatures of fairies, elves, rabbits, and unicorns I had painted on it.

"Minnnna, where pwinncees?"

"Oh, you know what you are so right. I forgot to add a princess here. I will paint on the handle very soon. Okay? and she will look just like you Princess Rania."

Shehzer had been observing us quietly for this time, an adoring look in his eyes. I avoided staring at him too long. It tended to blind me.

"If her name is Princess Rania, that will make her a "Princess Queen", y'know, because Rania means Queen, in Arabic." he added.

Rania giggled at that. "I wanna be Pwincess Queen"

I kissed her on the cheek, unable to resist myself.

"As you wish your majesty." I bowed to her, making her giggle some more.

.........

"The free soul is rare, but you know it when you see it - basically because you feel good, very good, when you are near or with them." 

― Charles BukowskiTales of Ordinary Madness

A/N:

This quote just reminds me of Rania, and kids like her.

We will get to know more about her condition in further chapters.