[15]

Driving back home, the car remained silent

Driving back home, the car remained silent. Partly because we didn't want to wake the sleeping child. The other reason, we were all to deep in though to talk.

We've only known Parker for about a day. In the short time spent with her, it was easy to realize she's fighting some demons of her own. The incident at the mall just proves this.

I don't think it's normal to experience that type of fear and panic from a small misunderstanding. Breaking a rule, enticed that kind of reaction from her? Does she not understand we all make mistakes, and learn from our mistakes? 

Has she never been given the opportunity to learn from her mistakes in a healthy way?

I briefly glance at Parker in the rear view mirror. She remains asleep, clutching to Bruno as if he's going to disappear. 

It doesn't make sense. She will avoid us like the plague, then cling to us like theres no tomorrow. A lot of her actions don't add up.

Shaking my head, I pull into the garage. I watch as Luca opens the door for Bruno who carries a passed out Parker. We all make our way inside to the living room. 

Bruno ever so delicately removes Parker from his arms. He places her on the couch, positioning her head so it's not at an awkward angle. Luca appears next to him placing a blanket over her. 

No words are exchanged as we sit on the couch waiting for Lorenzo and Matteo to return. 

What are you hiding, sorellina?

Making my into the house with Matteo, I watch him abandon his suit jacket in the entryway

Making my into the house with Matteo, I watch him abandon his suit jacket in the entryway. We both enter the living room to be met with a rather odd sight. 

Luca and the twins sit on the coach. What's stange is the T.V. is not on, they aren't even talking. Sitting with there elbows on their knees, they look to be deep in thought.

My gaze wonders to Parker who lays, asleep beside them. Still wearing the clothes that are much too big for her, she looks so precious.

Matteo clears his throat, effectively catching their attention. They meet my gaze, I can tell immediately something is bothering them.

"What's the issue?" I ask getting straight to the point.

The three of them share a glance as if deciding who's going to speak.

"There was an incident at the mall." Bruno informs with a look of shame on his face.

"Continue." I say. 

"Parker was with me for the majority of the day. I lead her around the mall getting her the things she needed. As our trip was coming to a close, she vanished. I turned around for one second, and she was gone." He states burying his head in his hands.

How can he loose Parker? We are in the Mafia for god's sake, nothing gets past us. Plus, out of the three of them Bruno is without a doubt the most responsible.

"I found her half-asleep on a bench." Luca chimes in. "I asked her what she was doing all alone." He states.

What was she doing all alone? We just explained the rules to her. Surely, she can't be breaking them already. I don't take her as the troublemaker type. 

"She said she was tired and couldn't keep up with Bruno." Luca informs us.

"Why didn't she just tell Bruno that?" Ares questions with a look of boredom on his face.

"Well... when I reminded her of the rules, she started freaking out!" Luca responds defensively.

Ares looks like he's about to respond but I raise my and silencing him. I motion for Luca to continue.

"Not long after Bruno and Ares arrived." Luca finishes.

"With the fear of punishment taunted by that stonzo, Parker started freaking out." Bruno says gesturing to Ares.

"Said she didn't want to go home." Ares interject.

"And why was that?" I question.

The three of them once again share a look. 

"She said she didn't want to go home because Lorenzo's there." Bruno speaks using finger quotes for the last two words.

I release a heavy sigh sinking into the armchair beside me. I run a hand down my face, loosening my tie. Great, my sorellina is terrified of me.

I usually love when people are terrified of me, but not my sorellina. 

"'m sorry, Lorenzo." I hear a delicate voice mutter.

Turning my head in the direction of the sound, I am met with a now awake Parker. She sits up against the sofa, the blanket that was once covering her, pooling at her waist.

"Please don't punish m-me." She pleads bowing her head in shame.

Merda, how am I to ever discipline a face like that. 

"Parker, punishments are put into place so you remember your mistake thus making sure it doesn't happen again." I speak to her.

Standing from my seat, I slowly make my way over to her. As I approach, her body stiffens. Nonetheless, I lift her chin deciding to ignore the flich the action caused.

"Parker, I want you to understand, I will never hurt you." I promise now looking into her eyes.

I glance around the room, making eye-contact with all my brothers.

"None of your brothers will ever hurt you." I add returning my gaze to her.

I can tell it's going to take some time to earn her trust, but this is a good start.

"Punishments vary depending on the severity of the misbehavior. But, I can assure you it will never harm you. Is that understood?" I ask.

"Yes." She replies.

I let go of her chin and to my surprise she actually maintains eye-contact. Her body is also not as stiff next to me. I feel slowly, but surely she is warming up to us. 

"I know you just woke up, but I want you to get ready for bed. You need more sleep bambina, especially if you can't keep up with that goose." Matteo lightheartedly jokes pointing to Bruno.

Bruno holds a hand to his chest in mock hurt, getting a small smile to creep onto Parkers face.

"'m kay." She responds crawling off the couch, slowly exiting the room.

While Parker retires to her room, I turn back to my brothers. All their gazes remain on her retreating figure. Small smiles grace each of their faces, staring fondly at their little sister. 

[word count 1071]