[61]

Matteo stands over my shoulder, looking through the contents of the box

Matteo stands over my shoulder, looking through the contents of the box. He frantically shakes his head in denial, no doubt jumping to the same conclusion as me.

"No, no, no... DNA! We need to test for DNA." He mutters, coming to a realization.

Instantly, he is on his phone, most likely contacting someone who can get this done. 

I turn my attention to my younger three brothers, all of which are still silent. Looking at the Martinez brothers, they all nod in agreement.

Matteo ends his call, capturing our undivided attention, "We'll get the results within the hour." he states, collapsing into his chair.

The packages are quickly collected to be tested, and now we wait. We wait for confirmation on whether or not my sorellina's finger was brutally chopped from her body.

---

A knock on the door pulls my attention away from my thoughts. I absentmindedly motion for them to come in and the DNA specialist appears beside two guards. He stands in front of the table, quicking making eye-contact with each member of the room. I can tell he looks nervous, clearly not enjoying the presence of two dons. With the motion of my hand, I urge him to begin.

"Both fingers are cut through the fifth metacarpal on the right hand. The little finger... the pinkie." He informs us clearly not wanting to get to the point.

The room remains in an eerie silence, waiting impatiently for him to continue. He audibly gulps before going on.

"Unfortunately, yes, both tests came back positive. They are Miss. Moretti and Mr. Martinez's fingers." The specialist tells us, bowing his head in respect. He places the test results on the table, before swiftly exiting the room.

I do not have time to comprehend the information as Bruno is the first to react. He jumps to his feet and runs to the garbage can in the corner, emptying the contents of his stomach.

"We are too late." Bruno rasps between gasping for breath. He looks to his twin to explain, pain and sorrow are evident on his face.

Ares clears his throat, effectively gaining the attention of the table. I see tears welling up in his eyes, his whole body tense, practically shaking.

"It's the Russian's signature. They chop the finger off right before killing them. We witnessed it when they kidnapped us." He states, desperately trying to keep his tears from falling.

I feel my breath catch in my throat, suddenly finding it difficult to breathe. I try to recall the last words I said to her, why can't I remember?

"But, If I recall correctly they held you for a week before you were rescued. They had your sister for less than 24 hours." Sebastian states, rubbing his chin deep in thought.

How can he remain so level headed? If they are not dead, at the very least they have been tortured.

"Yes, the only difference is we had something they wanted. Information, and they tried to torture it out of us." Ares is quick to respond, his jaw tense.