[21]

Whilst Parker has been in the hospital, I have been throwing myself into work

Whilst Parker has been in the hospital, I have been throwing myself into work. Ever since I found out James was the reason for her injuries, I have felt completely useless. Of course, I had no idea she existed at the time of her abuse, but I still feel like I have failed her as an older brother. 

It's not like me to ignore Parker, in fact, it's more Ares thing to avoid his problems. But, I can't bare to look into her innocent eyes knowing the suffering she's been through. How she managed to keep up the facade of being fine, will forever remind me how strong my sorellina truly is. 

I look at my body's newest addition, another tattoo. This time, I got a small one inked along my inner wrist. Though it's simple, everytime I look at it, it reminds me of a love that has recently been brought into my life. I even tattooed it on myself.

The garage door shutting alerts me that my sorellina is finally home. I hope she forgives me for not visiting. I really need to toughen up and stop avoiding her like a giant child. I'm acting more immature than Luca for fuck's sake. 

My twin comes into view carrying a sleeping Parker, he shoots me a cold glare. I guess, my absence didn't go unnoticed.

Ignoring Ares pointed look, I opt to stare at Parker instead. She looks so much smaller in Ares arms, he can easily support this eleven year old girl with one arm. My gaze catches on the boot she's wearing and rage fills my veins at the reminder of her torment with James.

Ares motions for me to follow him to Parker's room. I reluctantly agree, knowing nothing gets past my twin when it comes to knowing somethings bothering me. 

Trailing the duo upstairs, I make myself useful by pulling the covers back while Ares places the still sleeping child in bed. He delicately removes her boot, we both wince at the loud sound of velcro but Parker remains unfazed in her sleep. 

Ares tucks the blanket under her chin, placing a kiss to her forehead before finally turning to face me.

"What's up with you?" He asks with anger but I sense a hint of concern.

I release a deep sigh in response. Opting to keep my gaze fixed on my sleeping sister.

"Seriously Bruno, it's not like you to act like this. Avoiding Parker while she's in the hospital? I mean, really?" Ares continues throwing his hands in the air for affect. 

I bow my head in shame, "I know." 

My response only seems to anger Ares further. 

"You know? Then why do it? Explain that to me." He demands but keeps his voice low as to not disturb Parker.

"I-I just c-can't stand to look at her." I say pausing to look Ares in the eyes. I'm sure he's noticed the water welling in mine.

"Everytime I see her, I think of what that monster did to her. I co-could'nt protect h-her." I whisper finally letting the dam of tears break.