Speed Limit

"Are you gay?"

"What?"

"I mean, I don't have anything against gay-"

"You think I'm gay? Why?"

"Because you don't like me?"

To say I was surprised when he laughs is an understatement. He laughed too many times already, I lost count.

"Don't be conceited. Not everything is about you."

My cheeks automatically turn red. Ground, please open up and swallow me whole. Why was I not thinking? I'm so embarrassed I could die.

Kyle is still laughing, there are even tears in his eyes.

I need to shut my mouth. So stupid. I don't ever want to talk again.

"You're bringing a part of me I thought I've lost," he says, wiping the tears from his eyes.

I ignore his comeback, and cross my arms over my chest.

"Are you mad?" he says.

"No," I deadpan.

"Why did you ask if I was gay then?" he asks, a silly smile crossing his face. "You knew I had girlfriends before."

Girlfriends? As in plural, with an S?

I clear my throat. I started this, I can't back out now. "So what?"

"You really think that?" he asks.

"Doesn't matter."

With a mischievous glint in his eyes, he takes a step toward me. I answer it by taking a step back.

It feels like we're dancing, when we're not even touching.

Again, he moves forward. I don't know what his plan is, but once I look away from his eyes, I know he wins.

I'm about to take a step back when I trip on a rock. Before I can balance myself, I fall to the ground, hip first.

You'd think the first thing he'll do is to help me up. Kyle is surprising me today. Instead of offering his hand, he guffaws in laughter. Again.

Closing my eyes, I will myself to lose consciousness so that I can pretend this never happened. Maybe I'll wake up a few hours later in my bed.

But no, I'm too embarrassed to even do that.

Taking a deep breath, I help myself up and dust off the dirt on my pants.

Kyle bites his lip upon seeing me upright. "Sorry about that," he says sheepishly. "It's just; you're surprising me a whole lot today. I forgot how to act around you."

What does that even mean?

"Are you hurt?" he asks.

Just a bit, but my pride is too hurt to even admit that.

"I'm fine."

He opens his mouth, but before he can speak, my phone rings.

Perfect distraction.

I answer it without looking at the caller ID.

"Bri, where are you?"

Nate.

I know I'm a liar, but I made a promise with Nate. At least with him, I'll be honest, no second guessing. No beating around the bush.

"I'm with Kyle," I say.

There's a pause. But I know he's still there because I can hear his breath.

I turn around and walk a few feet away from Kyle. It takes ten steps before Nate speaks again.