Wedding Bells

Nate can't do anything about the guys, so he has no choice but to cook more food for them. He's grumbling under his breath about their lack of consideration, and here I am, hiding my own grin.

I'm so happy to see him, and it's a big surprise to see him in the kitchen, cooking. 

"I can't believe you learned in a single day," Lance says amusedly.

Nate scowls at him. "If you really want to do something, you'll make time for it."

"I won't waste my time," Zeke says, "when I know Brielle will prepare feast for us."

"Lazy as*," Nate mutters.

I smile as I watch the guys bicker with each other. I miss this normalcy with them. I don't dare turn around because I'm afraid to see KY. I still have a sore spot, as if reminding me it's hard to move on when we live in the same house. As if I can just ignore him the way he ignores me.

But maybe I can learn something from him.

"Bri, how's your—“

"The bacons are burning!" I say quickly before he can finish his question. I don't want to explain in front of the guys, especially with KY here. He might pick up my words and actions, and think that there's something going on.

Nate didn't seem to notice my change of subject. He smoothly turns off the stove and puts the bacons on the plate.

I take it from him and put it on the table.

"Finally," Lance says, sitting on his usual chair.

Zeke and KY follow.

"Who wants a cup of coffee?" I ask. It's already brewing.

KY raises his hand.

"Make it two," Nate says.

I grab two mugs, fill them with coffee, and then give them to KY and Nate.

The guys start eating. Zeke praises Nate's cooking skills. For his first time, I'm surprised he didn't burn anything.

"You owe me," Nate says, scolding at them. I can see that he's pleased though.

I take a bite of bacon. In the corner of my eye, I catch Nate staring at me, waiting for my reaction.

I give him a thumb up, and he grins at me.

I have to admit; though the food doesn’t look presentable, it tastes good.

“How’s your thanksgiving?” I ask. It’s better if I ask questions so that he’ll just answer them, and not ask me anything.

Nate shrugs. “Normal,” he says. “Well, except for one thing.”

I raise my eyebrow as I wait for him to continue.

“Mom asked me when will I get married.”

Lance chokes the juice he’s drinking. “Dude, you’re just twenty three! You’re too young!”

Nate rolls his eyes. “I know, but when my parents marry each other, they were only eighteen.”

“But that’s when it was appropriate to marry at a young age,” Zeke chimes in. “Besides, you’ll lose your charisma when you have a wedding ring on your finger.”

Nate turns to me. “What do you think?”

I frown. “What do I think about what?”

“About marriage, obviously,” KY says.

Why doesn’t he just remain silent like he usually does?

“I guess it’s alright,” I say hesitantly, not liking the guy’s attention on me. “When you both love each other enough to agree to settle down and get married, why would you care about other people’s opinions?”