Joyride

It’s been two hours now. I want to ask KY if we’re still far from his hometown. I’m getting impatient, and the ride is killing me. It’s so boring; KY doesn’t even glance my way.

“Where do your parents live?”

KY doesn’t respond to my question, which is annoying. What is he going to do, ignore me for the rest of the ride? What’s the point of bringing me if he’s just going to pretend that he’s alone?

I don’t want to regret spending time with him, but I’m thinking it’s much better if I’m with the guys. They will never treat me like this.

Girls will no doubt celebrate if they’re in my position, but I’m getting tired of KY’s attitude. One second he’s friendly and the next. . . I don’t want to stress myself out figuring him, because I will never get him.

I turn my back on KY and gasp when I see a familiar sign down the highway. “My father grew up in this town!” I say excitedly. I read the name of the town again to make sure, in case my eyes just play tricks on me.

“So you’ve been here before?” KY asks.

I nod.

I can’t believe it.

I’m back!

When I was a kid, I used to visit this town with my parents. This is where my grandmother lived when she was alive. Now someone else lives in her house.

It’s my first time to come back after a long time. There’s no reason to go here anymore. There are a lot of changes now, but this place still has a special place in my heart.

I’m surprise that I have the same hometown as KY. It’s such a small world after all. Of all the places, who knew he lived here before he became a star? It feels like destiny pulls us together.

“Maybe we already saw each other before,” I say thoughtfully.

He shrugs. “Maybe our parents know each other. What’s the name of your father?”

I open my mouth to respond when KY’s phone rings.

“Yes?” he answers.

I glance outside the window as he talks. I don’t want to appear rude listening while he’s having a conversation.

A grin breaks into my face when we drive through the park I used to play in when I was a kid. I’m glad it’s still here. Though there are some—

“She’s with me.”

That snaps me out of my reverie. Without meaning to, I turn around and face KY. He has an unreadable expression on his face, and his mouth is set into a thin hard line.

“Who is that?” I whisper.

“My mom.”

My eyes widen in surprise. “Really?”

To my astonishment, he chuckles. “You’re gullible! It’s Nate.”

I purse my lips. I didn’t know he likes joking. It’s not in his personality.

“He wants to talk to you.”

A smile is on my face when I put the phone to me ear. “Hey!”

“Bri, I miss you,” Nate says; his words are unintelligible. I can’t hear him clearly because there’s too much noise coming from the stereo beside him.

“Are you drunk?”

“’Course not!”

I sigh. “It’s too early to get drunk!”

“I told ya, I’m not!”

I cringe when I hear a glass shattering in the background.

Seriously, what’s happening there? It’s like there’s a commotion.

“Howdy!”

“Lance!” I say, surprise to hear his voice. There are feet shuffling, and the opening and closing of the door, until I can’t hear the loud music anymore. “What happened to Nate?”

“He dropped the bottle he was holding,” he says as if it’s not a big deal.

“Is he okay?”

“The doctor said they need to chop off his fingers due to the poisoning from—“

What?

KY suddenly steps on the brake, and if I’m not wearing my seatbelt, I’ll be thrown out of the window.

“What the hell was that?” he asks furiously.

I sit properly and arrange my seatbelt; it cuts off my breathing.

“Give me the phone!”

I hand him the phone and let him talk to Lance. My heart is still beating furiously in my chest. I hope to God Nate is alright.

“What did you say to her?” KY asks.

After a few seconds, he turns off his phone.

I swallow the lump in my throat. He looks tense. Is Nate in danger?

“Lance was just kidding,” KY says as he starts the car again.

“Oh.” I don’t even know what to say.

“Before you believe something, make sure it’s true.”

How will I know if I’m being lied at? Or I’m being teased? Or have an idea if what they said is true if I can’t even see their expression?

We drive in silence after that. I’m too mad to talk to him. Just because I like him doesn’t mean I’ll accept whatever he says. I look forward, but I don’t see the buildings we pass by.

Before I know it, he’s parking the car in front of a big Victorian house.

It has a homey feeling. I can see a garden on the side of the house that goes all the way to the backyard.

I have to say that I’m impressed.

All my life I did not expect to go to KY’s house. As a fan, I know my limitations. Even in my wildest imagination I’ve never dreamed of this.

“Stop ogling,” KY says. “Let’s go!”

We walk down the pathway, and instead of pushing the doorbell, he knocks at the door.

“Don’t you have a key?” I ask. I forgot that we’re not on speaking terms.

“I do,” he answers, “but it’s much better if we do it this way.”

I roll my eyes. He’s such a weirdo. We’ve been here standing in front of the door for a couple of minutes already. I’m about to suggest that he use his key when the door finally opens.

*****

Hey ya! The song is Love Like Woe by The Ready Set.

Thank you so much for reading my story! :)