Chapter 60 - Siege

It was too great of a coincidence. But it was real. I had accidentally acquired this magic amplifier while drinking in a pub. Strange as it may sound, it allowed Kovu and the other mages to hasten the teleportation spell. Each of them shared the drink, and by sunset, five-hundred soldiers and ten generals had gathered.

Underneath the red-orange horizon, was the castle courtyard. There, an army lined in rows. They were taking their places within a glowing circle that took up the entirety of the courtyard.

"It is starting to get dark," said the Grand Duke as we overlooked the clumps of metal armor from his balcony. "You should head down and join them. They are waiting for you."

From here, the soldiers seemed like skittering silver ants. Their lengthening shadows were intertwining with those of the surrounding trees.

"I agree. Time is of the essence. I have an empire to retake." I turned to him. "The world revolves around bargains, I know. But still, you have my gratitude."

He took my hand and gave it a gentle pat. "I am doing this to protect my people, the same as you. Ethan will bring ruination upon Solaria. Rassvyn will focus on the North and abandon the other regions. You are the only person I can put my hopes on, Athelina."

"I assure you. I'll bring balance back to Solaria." The sooner, the better.

I donned myself in fighting leathers, topped with light armor for better movement. These were suitable for my combat style.

My black fur-lined cape billowed as I trudged toward the magic circle, crossing scraggly shapes and ancient letters-rune symbols. The generals pounded their fists onto their chest and bowed. The soldiers at their rear followed.

"You know the drill." I spoke loudly for everyone to hear. "General Aleksander's group surrounds the perimeter to ensure not an enemy slips through. General Dain's group makes sure the palace residents are inside their rooms, and does not let anyone out. Once the night ends, there will be little to no casualties. And General Kier's group, you will clear the path for me and watch my back while I hunt down Ethan and Rassvyn. Have I made myself clear?"

"Yes, Your Majesty!" Their voices boomed against the dusk.

"Ladies and gentlemen, we are about to embark upon a civil war. Let's not fool ourselves, it is going to be ugly. But let's make it count. It doesn't matter which side you're on, each drop of life is important. Noble soldiers–" I curled my lips upward. "Try not to die."

They hollered, hoisting their weapons toward the ever-darkening sky. Theon and Elian arrived, both flushed and lips swelling.

"Sorry, are we late?" asked Elian, breathless.

"I was contemplating on leaving the two of you behind," I replied.

Elian merely laughed, while his knight stuttered with apologies and excuses.

"Kovu," I called to the redhead mage standing at the edge of the radiant circle.

"Empress," he beamed, sharp teeth glinting.

"Are you ready?"

"Always."

The five mages joined their palms together. The next moment, white blindness burned at the back of my eyelids.

The light ebbed, in its wake it left dotted specks in my vision. In the place of the Grand Duke's castle, a grander structure loomed. Solaria's gilded palace, my home.

We were currently in the front courtyard, across me were the arched double doors. The wind howled against my face, cold and brisk. It brought the smell of earth and moss. Darkness had completely enveloped the sky, stars shimmering in the endless cosmos.