Chapter 1

"So, I was talking to Odette the other day, and she was telling me about how her daughter had just graduated from college. Apparently, her daughter studied finance at university and landed a job nearby."

I hummed mindlessly, not paying much attention to my mother's usual chatter as I sliced my steak. It was nothing out of the norm for my weekly dinners with my family, so I didn't think much of it.

"And we were thinking. Wouldn't it be nice if you took her out to dinner sometime? Maybe get to know each other a bit."

I paused mid-bite and looked up from my plate.

My father and younger brother quickly diverted their eyes, not wanting to get caught up in what they figured would end up as another big argument.

My mother continued, "Her daughter is new to the city, so it would be nice if she had someone to show her around. And—"

"I'm not interested."

She furrowed her eyebrows. "But you haven't even met the girl yet. I'm sure you'll like her if you just—"

"I don't need you to set me up on dates. I'm perfectly fine without them."

"But—"

"Mother, I told you—"

"For Christ's sake, stop interrupting your mother! This was not how I raised you, Demetrius Andino Nikolaos." She huffed and crossed her arms. "Can't I be worried about your future as your mother? You're turning 30 in less than a year and have never brought any girlfriends back home for me to meet with. I'm beginning to think that you're going to end up dying alone."

I sighed and set my utensils back down on my plate. "Thank you for worrying about me, but I already have more than enough on my plate from just running my company. I wouldn't be able to give my girlfriend proper attention even if I had one anyway."

My mother pouted and turned her head away from me, giving me the silent treatment.

My father, the once notorious merciless business tycoon of  New York, looked up and gave me a silent plea, begging me to make peace with her. For someone who was usually feared by every other person on the country, he awfully soft when it came to his wife, but I guess that what marriage does to people when they're in love, disgustingly in love every each other even after 40 years of marriage.

I squeezed the bridge of my nose with a heavy sigh and relented. "Fine, I'll meet her."

My mother instantly perked back up and clapped her hand. "Yay, I'm sure you'll like her once you meet her."

Ignoring her comment, I stood up from my seat and waved for the maids to come to take my plate, no longer feeling hungry after this conversation. As I gathered my coat, I grunted, "Only once. I'll get my PA to send over my schedule."

I rubbed circles against the side of my temple in frustration as I recounted last night's events.

Sebastian, my closest friend since university and someone with whom I often conducted business when building new centers for my company at different locations, wouldn't stop laughing at my misery. He was hunched up in his chair, laughing so hard that he might as well fall out of the damned chair.

I scowled at his amusement and leaned back in my seat across from his desk. "It's not funny. She's been hounding my PA all morning for a free slot in my schedule. I thought I would've been able to hold off the date for a bit longer, but she managed to scare my PA into opening a new slot for her, and now I have a stupid date two weeks from now."