Chapter 90

"Arabelle, are you ready to go?"

I perked up in recognition of Isabella's voice and the familiar clamoring of the visitors entering through the front door. It must've been why Demetri darted out the backdoor in such a hurry. He truly was such an antisocial man when it came to anyone besides Theo or myself, but it was still something I found quite adorable in my giant of a husband.

I helped Theo down from the island top and walked out in hand with him to greet our visitors.

Even though it was still only morning, Mrs. Nikoloas was already spiritedly chatting away with her friend, pointing out all the details and ornaments along the walls as Ms. Odette stared at the interior of our house in awe.

I guess it was the first time Ms. Odette had visited our home due to Demetri's overprotectiveness, but I figured that Ms. Odette was a safe person. She had apparently been friends with the Mrs. Nikoloas for decades, even before Mrs. Nikoloas married Demetri's father, and generally acted as a good balance to Mrs. Nikoloas's overly energetic personality.

I waved good morning to the two as I made my way over to Isabella.

She animatedly waved at me and cooed at my outfit, "You just look adorable, Arabelle. I love the layers and the color matches your eyes so well!"

I blushed at her compliment, "Thank you, Isabella. I liked the flowers on your dress too."

Since she was much taller than me, she was able to pull off a longer floral maxi dress that fell down to her feet with a slit on the side revealing part of her leg. It had a deep v-neckline with only two thin straps holding the dress to her shoulders, resulting in the majority of her collarbone and shoulders being left over for all eyes to see.

She had light makeup with just a bit eyeliner and a thin layer of lipstick accentuating her plump lips, but oddly enough, her lipstick was a bit smugged at the side, which was quite unlike her.

I pointed to the corner of her lips and asked, "Do you a makeup remover wipe? It seems like you might've bumped into something this morning."

She reflexively lowered her eyes, mood instantly plummeting, and covered the lower half of her face with her hand. "I-It's alright. I can just fix in the bathroom with a bit of paper."

I tilted my head to the side, slightly confused by her reaction. Did something happen to her before she came here?

But I didn't have a chance to ask before she hurriedly darted off toward our guest bathroom. She didn't seem like she wanted to talk about it, so I decided to drop it.

Instead, I walked over to the two elder ladies and formally greeted them, "Good morning, Mrs. Nikoloas and Ms. Odette."

Mrs. Nikoloas immediately switched topics mid-sentence and cheerily greeted me, "Good morning, Arabelle! How's my lovely daughter doing? Has Demetrius been giving you any problems lately? Because I can scold him anytime for you."

I giggled softly at her humorous behavior and replied, "Everything has been going well. And you know that Demetri never gives me trouble."

Ms. Odette noted, "He really is quite smitten with you. I guess it must run in the family. All the Nikoloas men fall in love quite hard and fast, but they truly are more loyal to their partners than anyone else."

I flushed bashfully at her comment. Her description really reflected Demetri down to the tee.

Mrs. Nikoloas playfully tackled her friend into a giant hug and exclaimed, "I'm sure you will someday find the perfect man for you too! After all, Rose is already all grown up now, so there's no reason you can't go on dates anymore!"