Chapter 55

I walked back into our shared bedroom after sending Theo to bed and spending quite a bit of effort to coax him out of keeping his new relic in bed.

I loosened my tie and unbuttoned the top two buttons of my shirt as I closed the door behind me. Oddly enough, the room was completely silent with no sign of my lovely soon-to-be wifey.

I meandered through the room in confusion until an unexpected yelp came out from the close bathroom door. I called out worriedly, "Love? Are you alright in there?"

"I-I'm fine."

Unconvinced by her shakey response, I walked closer to the door. "Are you sure? I can help you if you—"

"N-No!"

My mouth immediately snapped shut, not expecting such a firm outburst.

"I-I mean, can you just wait for me on the bed? I-I'll be out in just a moment."

"Okay..." I eyed the door warily before walking over to the bed and sitting down at the end of it.

Belle had been all jittery ever since we got home from dinner at my parent's place. No matter how much I thought about it, I still hadn't been able to figure out why.

She darted up the stairs the moment we arrived, asking me to tuck our sleepy little one into bed for her while she took care of something. What that something was, I still didn't know.

I could only hope that nothing was wrong with her. I wouldn't know what I would do if I found out that she was ill and trying to hide it from me for whatever reason.

I leaned back on my hands as I looked over at the bathroom door.

She wouldn't hide things like that from me, right? She knew that she could trust me no matter what, right? That I would have no qualms against taking care of her if something serious happened.

Before my thoughts could spiral any further, a soft voice hesitantly called out from behind the bathroom door, "Demetri? Are you still there?"

"Yes, darling."

"Um... Can you close your eyes for a moment? It's just a bit too embarrassing to..."

Too embarrassing?

I quirked my eyebrow in confusion but decided not to question it. "Of course, love."

I sat up and closed my eyes, waiting patiently with my hands on either side of me.

A soft click echoed through the room as the bathroom door opened. My ears perked up as her little feet shuffled across the carpet until they stopped just in front of me.

I wanted to open my eyes and ask what was wrong, but I obediently kept my eyes closed and continued to try very hard to keep my curiosity contained.

Luckily, I didn't have to wait long, but her next actions were nothing like I expected.

My breath hitched as she slid into my lap, sliding her legs onto either side of my thighs. Her hands glided down from my chest before stopping right before my belt.

I gulped as she shuffled a bit more in my lap. She was so close to me that all I could smell was her delightfully fruity scent of warm spices.

After what felt like forever, she finally stopped moving and quietly instructed, "You can open your eyes now."

I hesitantly cracked one eye open at a time.

To say that I was speechless was, to say the least.

I swallowed dryly as my eyes traveled up her outfit, trying not to linger too long on the faint outline of her areolas under the thin fabric that only did the bare minimum to cover her skin. She was dressed in a semi-see-through, lavender babydoll outfit, barely falling down above a pair of matching underwear with a tiny bow sitting at the top.