Chapter 72

I pursued my lips as I finished recounting the night to Demetri. Everything from when I first found Theo talking to his older brother before his biological mother stepped in to how we were hiding out on a private balcony on the upper floor to calm down.

Demetri had asked me about what had happened the moment he finished tucking Theo in after we came back from the reception. At first, I didn't want to ruin the mood by telling him, but I knew that I would never be able to hide anything from him, nor did I want to.

He had shown me over and over how much he cared for both Theo and me. There was no reason to hide such a thing from him.

But at the same time, I didn't know what to say when Demetri fell completely silent at the end of my confession.

He was just standing in front of me, completely lost in thought and unmoving. Was he upset that I didn't say anything earlier? Or was it something else?

We were still in our wedding tuxedo and dress from the ceremony, standing in the middle of our bedroom, so I couldn't help feeling a bit awkward.

Maybe he was mad that I caused unnecessary chaos at the reception, disappearing all of sudden and nearly picking a fight with one of his business partners.

Either way, I knew that I had probably ruined what was supposed to be a happy night.

Our wedding night.

After what felt like forever, Demetri finally released a heavy sigh and broke free from his rigid stance. I glanced up at him hesitantly as he made his way across the room toward me.

My eyes widened when he suddenly engulfed me in his warm embrace and softly stated, "You must've been scared, my love... But you did well... You did your best, and I'm sure Theo knows it too..."

I melted right into his arms, almost as if I had been aching to hear those words all along, even if I didn't know I wanted to hear them.

I shyly wrapped my arms around his waist and mumbled quietly, "Thank you."

He pulled me closer and lightly rocked me from side to side. Burying his head into the crook of my neck, he whispered, "You're such a strong woman, and I'm so proud to call you my wife... I only wish I could be better at being there for you... So you wouldn't have to go through these types of things alone..."

I shook my head and stroked his head reassuringly, "You can't always be there in the moment, Metri... The fact that you will stick by our side and support us going forward is already good enough."

"But... if I just didn't waste time talking to those people... I could've been there for the two of you... You wouldn't have had to pull yourselves together on a cold balcony all by yourselves... Or even better, if I just didn't have to attend these types of events, I wouldn't have ruined our wedding night like this..."

I pressed my lips into a thin line when I realized where this conversation was heading. Demetri had always been like this. He always tried to shoulder the burden all by himself and blamed himself for everything. He always tried to take the fault even though it was never his problem in the first place.

I gently eased myself out of his arms and pulled him toward our shared bed. He looked up at me curiously as I pushed him down onto the bed, but I paid no mind and simply continued on with my actions.

I kissed him softly on the lips, molding our lips together. I traced my tongue along his bottom lips, silently asking for permission to enter.

Without hesitation, he parted his lips and instinctively wrapped his hands around my hips, pulling me into his lap, making me let out a small squeak in surprise. He smirked ever so slightly as he deepened the kiss, stealing my breath away as my mind clouded over with only thoughts of him.