Chapter 54

"Demetrius Andino Nikoloas! It won't kill you to let go of Arabelle for just a moment to help your mother out."

The little lady of the house stuck her head out through the kitchen window in a huff, glaring at the said man latched onto my shoulder. It was quite clear who Demetri inherited his fiery gaze from despite her old age.

I smiled sheepishly as I tried to unlatch Demetri's arms around from my waist. "Love, your mother is calling for you."

He made a disgruntled noise with his eyes still closed and his arms as unmoving as ever. "She'll be fine."

A loud clang rang from the kitchen at his reply, making me smile nervously at the woman with the heavy frying pan in her hand.

I turned my head around and leaned up with much difficulty to press a kiss on his cheek, trying to coax him to listen. "Just help her out a bit... For me, okay? I'll be alright by myself."

He let out a discontented sigh before eventually, albeit reluctantly, releasing me from his grasp and walking off in the direction of the screaming old lady.

I giggled softly at his unusual behavior as I started to make my way toward Theo. Demetri had always been a bit of a momma's boy, never arguing with her and always helping her out without being asked, even though he acted like he couldn't care less. So, I just found it a tad funny to see his mom yell at him for ditching her when I knew that he would always hold a soft spot for her.

I rounded the corner and found Theo sitting with Demetri's father next to the fireplace with a hefty-looking book nestled snuggly between them. They were so immersed in their own little bubble that they didn't notice me approaching until I peered over them from behind to take a glance at the book.

Surprisingly, Mr. Nikoloas was showing Theo an old album containing photos of what I could only assume were Demetri and his younger brother from their childhood. In one of the pictures, they were standing side to side with matching unamused expressions in a set of matching khakis pants and button-up shirts that I could only imagine was the result of their mother forcing them to wear it.

Mr. Nikoloas looked at me with a soft smile and explained, "Don't you think Theo looks almost identical to Demetrius in this picture?"

I nodded as I quietly scanned over all the other pictures of a young Demetri on this page of the book. To think that my giant fiancé was once so small.

His hair was cut just a tad bit shorter than Theo's in these pictures, but their facial shapes were outstandingly similar. The sharpening jawlines and high arching eyebrows perfectly framed their piercing eyes.

As he slowly flipped through the pages, Mr. Nikoloas continued, "I just wanted to show him how much he was already like his dad. Even if they aren't related by blood, I don't want Theo to ever feel like he doesn't belong."

Mr. Nikoloas was never one who spoke much. Like all the other Nikoloas men I've met so far, he wasn't one to socialize much unless necessary. So it warmed my heart to see him making an effort to get to know my little boy.

"I hope he never does, too..." Easing into the seat next to Theo, I gently ran my fingers through Theo's hair, eliciting a small but contentful hum from him as I pushed his hair back ever so slightly.

Theo's cheeks turned a faint pink color. "But dad is very smart... and understanding... and mature... Everyone looks up to him... I want to be just a good, so no one will doubt his decision to take me in..." 

I pressed my lips together as I gently raked my fingers through his hair.

He was the smartest little boy I knew, sometimes even helping me with my tax forms. And though he could be a bit harsh with his words, he always put those he cared about before himself. So it greatly pained me to see him doubting his own worth like this.