Chapter One

I smoothed out my grey sweater and then pulled at the hem of my blue striped skirt

I smoothed out my grey sweater and then pulled at the hem of my blue striped skirt. I wondered if it was too short as I turned in my full-length mirror. White socks peeked over the top of my combat style boots completing the look. I was trying to go for a look that was stylish but would allow me to blend into the crowd.

Good luck as the new girl, I thought to myself.

A light knock on the door startled me. "Come in!" I called over my shoulder.

The door opened and I saw the greying feathered hair of my father. He smiled in the mirror and I returned it.

He put his hands on my shoulders, "You look great Rori." His light southern accent was always soothing.

"Thanks," I responded.

"I can't believe this is your last first day of high school." Dad sat down on the edge of my small iron frame bed.

"Me either," I admitted. "It's pretty crazy to think that this time next year I'll be getting ready to go to college." My eyes dropped to the floor.

A wave of guilt washed over me and I could feel my heartbeat quickening.

"Rori?" My dad's voice sounded garbled in my ears.

Breathe. I thought to myself as I tried to steady my emotions.

"Rori." Dad was now standing and had forcibly turned me to face him.

Tears began to flood my eyes and I fell into his chest. I began to sob. He soothingly shushed me while he rubbed between my shoulders.

"I- I- I- I'm sorry." I stuttered through my mess of emotions.

"It's okay darlin'," he reassured me. "Let it out."

My body shuddered as the last of the tears left my eyes. I composed myself, wiping the wetness off my cheeks.

"What a waste of makeup," I joked as I rubbed away some of the black my tears had deposited under my eyes from my mascara.

"You still look beautiful," Dad told me.

I sighed. "I guess I better reapply this and come downstairs."

He nodded, "Your mom is jus' finishin' up breakfast."

"Okay. I'll be down shortly."

Dad gave my shoulder a quick squeeze before he disappeared out into the hallway. I took a deep breath as I reached for my makeup basket and began to fix what my grief had just broken.