Chapter Twenty-Three

The following Saturday Terra invited me to her house for a celebratory barbeque

The following Saturday Terra invited me to her house for a celebratory barbeque. She had gotten into MIT and Tawnya had been accepted to the University of New Hampshire. While I was excited for Terra, I didn't necessarily feel like celebrating or seeing Tawnya outside of school. Again, Terra was my friend and I was proud of her. Despite every bone in my body fighting against it, I decided to go.

On the drive over to celebrate college acceptances, I was becoming nervous that I hadn't heard from any schools yet. When I pulled up to Terra's house I had to push my worry that I would never hear the fate of my life after high school. I rang the bell and Terra excitedly opened the door and ushered me in.

"I'm so happy you could make it!" Terra hugged me tightly.

"You know I wasn't about to miss this."

"Have you heard yet?" I shook my head. "No worries." Terra brushed away my concerns. "You will get into Dartmouth no problem."

While I appreciated her optimism, I was no longer there. My acceptance letters being this late had to mean that I was being rejected on every front. Maybe it was a good thing. It had been decided that I was going to the trauma program this summer. If I didn't have college in the fall, it would give me more time to work with if I needed it.

When I finally looked up from my thoughts, I realized I was in Terra's room.

"Guess who texted me."

"Jesus?"

Terra laughed. "No." She handed me her phone and I looked down.

"Oh gross! Chad!"

"I know." Terra took her phone back from me. "Can you believe this guy?"

"What are you going to do?"

Terra cocked an eyebrow then held her phone so I could see it. I watched as she swiped left then hit the little trashcan icon.

"Proud of you."

Terra sighed. "Any word from Andrew?"

"I told him not to. Well, maybe not in so many words but I think he knows."

"I'm sorry."

"Don't be." I shook my head. "He's a jerk too. He betrayed me."

"I don't think he meant to hurt you though."

"But he did. I thought he was my Prince Charming, but he's not."

"Girl, look. My Prince Charming turned out to be a frog. I don't think Andrew is."

"How would you know?"

"Don't get me wrong. I'm angry at him. I also know him pretty well. He spent a lot of time here and whatever reason he told Tawnya, it was never malicious." Terra pressed her lips together.

"I'm not really interested in excuses."

Terra shrugged. "Maybe you should hear one."

"Hear one what?"