Chapter Nineteen

I hid out all weekend

I hid out all weekend. What was the point of being out in the real world? My room was safe from pain, and most of all, safe from Tawnya who likely knew everything about me now. As I got ready for school I felt sick. I wondered if I would be able to get away with somehow staying home. I laughed at my own ridiculousness. Even if I were somehow able to evade my mother realizing I had never gone to school my report card would give away that I missed a day of school this semester. I had no choice but to go.

I braced myself as I walked into the school. I had expected everyone to stop and stare at me. Maybe even point at me and called me murderer. No one really noticed my entrance and the few who did went back to what they were doing without much care.

I found my way to my locker. Terra was there pulling out her textbooks. I watched as she closed the door then her attention turned in my direction. Our eyes locked and I attempted to offer an apologetic smile. She kept an even face then turned and walked in the opposite direction. The rejection stung. I sighed and walked over to my locker and began to get myself ready for the day.

"You and Terra make up?" Andrew's voice came from beside me.

I turned and looked to see him leaning his shoulder against his locker. I shook my head sadly. "No. She has zero interest in talking to me."

"Right." Andrew blew air out of his lower lip. "You know, you never told me what caused the fight."

I hadn't. After seeing Terra's reaction to finding out that Chad was a complete jerk, I couldn't tell Andrew. He and Chad were extremely close and I figured the chances of him believing me were about the same as her.

"Something silly." I looked down the hallway she had walked. "It doesn't really matter now."

A week passed and Terra still had not spoken to me

A week passed and Terra still had not spoken to me. She continued to avoid me in the halls and as far as I could see, she was still with Chad.

We both dutifully, and awkwardly, stood near each other when our boyfriends chatted in the halls but politely rejected any suggestion of double dates. I knew Andrew's goal was to get us talking again, but knowing what I did about Chad, I really didn't trust his intentions.