Chapter Fifteen

That text, his text, haunted me

That text, his text, haunted me. The words. The same ones James said to me before taking me out on our first date. Without meaning to, I kept drawing parallels between my potential relationship with Andrew, and the one I had with James. They already felt similar in too many ways. I worried that they might end the same.

For every time I wanted to call it off, I would see Andrew. He would smile, and give me the days, hours, and minutes countdown until our date. Which I guess was how I found myself twirling in front of my mirror Friday night, watching the chiffon overlay flow out from the high scoop neckline of my curve hugging blush coloured dress.

I was a mixture of excited, nervous, and incredibly guilt riddled.

Mom appeared in the mirror behind me. "You looked lovely, Aurora."

"Thank you."

"You must be going somewhere fancy," Mom sat on the edge of my bed.

"He's taking me to his parent's country club," I informed her.

"Oh?" Mom raised her brows. "I would've expected a burger and a movie."

I shrugged, "He said it was his favourite event at the club. I don't know how much of a date it will be with his parents there."

I noticed a small relieved smile appear on Mom's face.

"Mom," I whined.

She put her hands up, "I'm sorry."

I rolled my eyes as I opened my jewelry box and began to dig for earrings.

"I just think there's something to taking it slow," Mom explained. "Having his parents there allows you both to explore your... feelings... in a more controlled environment."

"Yeah you like that," I mumbled as I put in my earrings.

"What do you mean by that?"

"Nothing," I groaned.

I didn't want to argue. Ruin what should be a good night and even a potential bonding moment with my mom.

"Those earrings are pretty but-" Mom rummaged in the pocket of her cardigan. "These are better."

She held out beautiful copper-coloured earrings with intricate leaf and floral patterns.

"From the Song Dynasty," Mom explained as pressed them into my hands.

"What's that? My great-great-great-great-great-great-"

Mom laughed.

"Actually your grandmother found these in an antique shop in Shanghai." I put away the earrings I had selected in favour of the beautiful ones my mom had brought. "So they're not a family heirloom but still precious to me." When I finished putting them in I examined myself in the mirror once more. "Just like you."